DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I do like a good film-cramming day.

on that subject, what's the most you've crammed into a single day/sitting? I keep planning on doing a morning till night type deal but it never materialises...ive done 4 on a few occasions.

• Paid Members
I do like a good film-cramming day.

on that subject, what's the most you've crammed into a single day/sitting? I keep planning on doing a morning till night type deal but it never materialises...ive done 4 on a few occasions.

I used to work in a video rental shop, I hardly got paid anything and I worked from like 2-10pm and I used to routinely take home 4-5 films and watch them all night, it was great, I watched hundreds of films over 2 years. I find it quite hard to sit through 2 films in a row now.

Gamera vs. Barugon (1966). More massive monster mayhem from the Far-East. The Gamera films take place in a separate universe to the Godzilla series, but it is again a universe in which giant monsters seem intent on destroying the coastal cities of Japan. This is the 3rd of the numerous Gamera films that I've seen, and a reasonably entertaining little addition to the genre. Some potential bandits go on an expedition to steal what they think is a priceless jewel, but really, its the egg of a giant monster! Who could've predicted that?

gameravsbarugon.jpg

They did the monster mash

Storyline aside, its always cool to appreciate the work that goes into the miniature sets and cityscapes which are always destroyed by the monsters, either in their initial rampages or during the showdown battle. Gamera is quite possibly the most badass of the legendary Kaiju, and he's certainly in his finest tail whipping form in this one. I've seen better in the genre, but I've also seen far worse. A decent little effort, and one that will quench the thirst of any giant monster junkie with ease.

Richie, I assume you've seen Un Chien Andalou? The one that Dali was involved with? That's old and surreal, you should like that. Also, check out some old Russian animation, the stuff around and after the revolution is good. I saw some at an exhibition once and it started from there.

There will be a horror film festival coming up in Leeds or Sheffield (can't remember which) later in the year that will be showing plenty of obscure stuff. You'd love it.

Haven't seen the Dali one yet, no, but I've read about it. Is that the one with the eyeball cutting sequence? Thanks for the recommendations, I'll get to them all as soon as I can while I'm back into one of my film watching phases.

I'd love to go to a horror festival like that, but don't have any friends who are enthusiasts. I'd feel a bit of a sad case going to something like that on my own.

I did 4 yesterday, not to mention about 5 or 6 episodes from the first series of Thundercats (1985). I'll be on for 3 again today.

I'd love to go to a horror festival like that, but don't have any friends who are enthusiasts. I'd feel a bit of a sad case going to something like that on my own.

Well, it's part of the Leeds Film Festival and it's called Fanomenon. They might have a message board of sorts, or threads on a horror board, you could sort of introduce yourself and maybe have a meet up? I think it isn't for a few months at least. Would be a shame to miss out as you'd love it.

I did all 4 Die Hards back-to-back a few years ago. Ace way to spend a day.

Only if doing it in reverse. I wouldn't want to end on 4.0.

I watched the first 4 all recently and you do have a point. However 4.0 is still a good action movie. It's just not up to the standards of 1 and 3 which imo are the best. I haven't watched the latest one yet, might watch it this week, but what Die Hard needs is John McTiernan. Again it's no surprise his movies are the best, too bad his life is a mess, so that will never happen.

Oh Richie if you're watching Gamera movies, I highly recommend that you check out the Gamera Trilogy from the late 90's. Guardian of the Universe,Attack of the Legion,Revenge of Iris all great monster movies and has the best suitmation ever done, yeah better than any Godzilla movie. Saying that, Godzilla 1985 aka The Return of Godzilla is still overall the best monster/Godzilla movie. Yeah, I like it even more than the original Godzilla, that was a reboot they got spot on.

• Paid Members

Me and a mate did all 6 Rocky's last summer from about 8pm to 6am, luckily we had a few beers so 5 was mostly a blur. Did all the Rambo's recently aswell. I often watch two or three a day with being at Uni and having nothing to do.

• Paid Members
Me and a mate did all 6 Rocky's last summer from about 8pm to 6am, luckily we had a few beers so 5 was mostly a blur. Did all the Rambo's recently aswell. I often watch two or three a day with being at Uni and having nothing to do.

I've done both of those too (although I think it may have been before the 4th Rambo came out) the Rambo one is fun and easy & I'd like to do it again. I know a few people who have done the 3 extended lord of the rings movies in a row but they're too similar for me. All 3 Austin Powers is a nice one for a day off work.

The one I'd like to do predictably is all the avengers lead in films followed by avengers but I've seen them all too often & to recently for it to be fun.