DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I'd steer well clear of The Green Mile, D-Mal.

Actually, until Houchey said that about Green Mile, I just chalked my dislike for it down to another flick - like Goodfellas - that the world likes, but I don't. Sickeningly sweet, contrived nonsense.

I've just realised, I've never seen Soderbergh's 'Traffic'. Is it any good? Was just trawling t'interweb and stumbled on it because I was looking at 21 Grams on IMDB...

Never seen Traffic but unless Soderbergh is directing a crime comedy like Logan Lucky or Out of Sight or Ocean's 11, I tend not to like his films much anyway.

I figure having yawned my way through The Shawshank Redemption that I don't really need to see another Stephen King prison film, especially one that's 7 decades long.

1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I'd steer well clear of The Green Mile, D-Mal.

Actually, until Houchey said that about Green Mile, I just chalked my dislike for it down to another flick - like Goodfellas - that the world likes, but I don't. Sickeningly sweet, contrived nonsense.

I've just realised, I've never seen Soderbergh's 'Traffic'. Is it any good? Was just trawling t'interweb and stumbled on it because I was looking at 21 Grams on IMDB...

Traffic is good, but yeah it’s too long by at least half an hour.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Fair play, Gammons. I was stuck between that and a flick called 10x10 for tonight. I'm still stuck.

I've seen 10x10. It's ok as long as you want something that's short, pretty stupid but passably entertaining. And Kelly Reilly.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I literally can't seperate Traffic and 21 Grams in my mind, hope that helps Branquey!

It's mental, isn't it? I'm the same. I sat there looking at IMDb thinking "Why are these two flicks so interchangeable" Thanks be to bejay that I'm not the only one who associates one with the other. But I've seen 21 Grams and it was grand. So I'm going to assume Traffic will be grand too.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've seen 10x10. It's ok as long as you want something that's short, pretty stupid but passably entertaining. And Kelly Reilly.

I'll give this a rally so, D-Mal. I just want some cheap thrills to pass 90 minutes . And Kelly Reilly.

She's after piping up saying she wants to watch King Arthur. So I could be rightly fucking derailed here...

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I'll give this a rally so, D-Mal. I just want some cheap thrills to pass 90 minutes . And Kelly Reilly.

She's after piping up saying she wants to watch King Arthur. So I could be rightly fucking derailed here...

Be braced for a brief Noel Clarke appearance but it's just a cameo, really.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Soderbergh is such a frustrating Director. OUT OF SIGHT is still my favourite of his. That movie is so bloody good.

I am glad were not alone here on him. He is lauded as this amazing auteur in some circles, but he misses way more then he hits. I did enjoy Ocean's 11 (Though not seen it for a while), Out of Sight, Magic Mike and Logan Lucky.

Really great book that.

JFK for my 200th (!!!) film this year. I do really like this film even though it’s a bit long but it doesn’t seem that long as I love the subject matter. 

Cracking cast and Pesci is the standout but Costner is a poor actor and distracts throughout and I just can’t take Michael Rooker seriously after recently rewatching Mallrats.

• Paid Members

I saw JFK in the flicks when I was about 11. I've never watched it since because it was a fucking unnecessary thing for a child of that age to sit through. I didn't understand, didn't want to understand and never have wanted to understand since.
I just remember someone sitting on a bench and lots of talking and shouting throughout the movie.

The UCI in Coolock used to be great. Could pay into a kids flick and just trot around between screens. We got to see so many growed up movies that way - just because we could - as kids, and usually it was a great experience. But not this.

Watched 10x10 last night. It was actually alright. Not as bad as IMDb and some reviews would have you believe, but just as it gets going and you're all "Oooh, this is getting a bit taut", it ends.