DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Watched a cracking film the other night called The Park is Mine. I'm led to believe it was HBO's first film, it's an action film where Tommy Lee Jones takes control of Central Park. Can see a fair few on here enjoying it.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Loki said:

It was the bit where the giant holographic computer suddenly appears and offers them a job, that was where Mrs Loki and I checked out.  Switching your brain off for F&F is one thing, but a heist movie you're meant to be trying to work out the heist cleverness, not constantly spotting problems with the plot and the reality of the film.

I had to remind myself of how it ended, and yeah, it was ridiculous reading it back. I must have had a good day when I watched it 😂 because that ending is woeful

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

confused schitts creek GIF by CBC

9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think it’s well known I’ve been twatted with a stupid stick.

But I literally just wrote it off as a silly little film, similar to The Fast and Furious series really. Just switch your brain off for trying to make it logical. As a popcorn flick I thought it was fine. Not great, not amazing, just passed the time. That said, I’ve never had the urge to rewatch it, just like Oceans 12 in that regard. I doubt the 3rd will get made, and after seeing the 2nd (we had nothing new to watch on Sky Movies) I won’t be bothering with it anyway. 

Thankfully Jessie and Woody are reunited in Zombieland Double Tap soon and having rewatched the first one in preparation for my Halloween Horror Nights trip, I could rewatch that film many times. Maybe I watched NYSM in a really good mood and that’s why I didn’t detest it? 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch
Because some people are just thick

3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I thought it was garbage but I watched the whole thing and kind of enjoyed it even though I knew it was shit.

I think it was a combination of coasting on the goodwill I had for the cast, the concept and the start of the film that didn't suck.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on Now You See Me. I was really excited when it first came out and I saw the trailer but it turned out to be at best a bit of a mess, if at least enjoyable and kept afloat by a strong cast. I've seen it a few times because my eldest loves it for some ridiculous reason and the Ruffolo reveal never fails to baffle me. Some of the set pieces and chases are good but not enough to redeem the glaring issues that have already been pointed out. And the second one is absolute dogshit.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

This pretty much sums up my feelings on Now You See Me. I was really excited when it first came out and I saw the trailer but it turned out to be at best a bit of a mess, if at least enjoyable and kept afloat by a strong cast. I've seen it a few times because my eldest loves it for some ridiculous reason and the Ruffolo reveal never fails to baffle me. Some of the set pieces and chases are good but not enough to redeem the glaring issues that have already been pointed out. And the second one is absolute dogshit.

I know people don't think Daniel Radcliffe is a great actor, but his turn as a villan (was he suppose to be Michael Caine's grandson or something?) was atrocious. It also just didn't feel fun at all. At least in the first a couple of the stunts were fun, if not over the top, but I can barely remember a thing that happened in it.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Any time you do magic tricks in movies, if it's something that can't be done in real life, fuck right off.

Not a fan of The Prestige?

I am sure David Copperfield was a consultant on the first Now You See Me. I assume not for the card passing scene

I don’t think I even made it half an hour into that movie before I turned it off. I could already see that soon in to it that it was going to really piss me off. 

I still haven’t watched it all but from what I remember of it, Im presuming it ends with some mob boss asking them how they pulled off the heist and one of them looks directly down the lens, winks, and says “magic” and the credits roll. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I don’t think I even made it half an hour into that movie before I turned it off. I could already see that soon in to it that it was going to really piss me off. 

I still haven’t watched it all but from what I remember of it, Im presuming it ends with some mob boss asking them how they pulled off the heist and one of them looks directly down the lens, winks, and says “magic” and the credits roll. 

It would have been a better ending

• Awards Moderator
33 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Not a fan of The Prestige?

This misses the point by a titanic amount.

I don't wish to stray into spoiler territory for Prestige (which is legitimately a great film) but the set pieces in there are presented as tricks that turn out not to be 'tricks'. Prestige is also a film that deals specifically with how you can keep up a pretense and for how long, and at what point does your life suffer because of this devotion to secrecy? It's about having internal logic to the film universe as presented.

Whereas in Now You See Me, Isla Fisher floats in a bubble during a magic stage show. Which they do with CGI. it is presented as a magic trick, but it's done with post-production. As opposed to the very opening trick, where the card is forced on the audience in a real magic technique. If they did 100% the latter it improves how impressive it is thousandfold.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

This misses the point by a titanic amount.

I don't wish to stray into spoiler territory for Prestige (which is legitimately a great film) but the set pieces in there are presented as tricks that turn out not to be 'tricks'. Prestige is also a film that deals specifically with how you can keep up a pretense and for how long, and at what point does your life suffer because of this devotion to secrecy? It's about having internal logic to the film universe as presented.

Whereas in Now You See Me, Isla Fisher floats in a bubble during a magic stage show. Which they do with CGI. it is presented as a magic trick, but it's done with post-production. As opposed to the very opening trick, where the card is forced on the audience in a real magic technique. If they did 100% the latter it improves how impressive it is thousandfold.

My comment meant to be sarcastic, but that obviously didn't go across well. The Prestige is probably my 2nd favorite Nolan film. I mean, they are poles apart. I probably should have said Burt Wonderstone instead, purely as I am struggling to think of any magic based films (I remember walking out of that thinking it failed at being funny, it's main job)