Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

If you want jokes about sexual assault, several attempted murders, and a near rape, be sure to check out new kids' film The Queen's Corgi!

What is it with kids films about dogs being really fucking creepy? There was that other one that was essentially telling kids it's ok for adults to touch your genitals.

That was Show Dogs, which did feature at least one good moment, and that was the bomb disposal dog with an anxiety disorder.

The little voice in my head that makes me watch terrible films on Netflix made me watch The Dark Tower tonight. Tower of shite, more like. Awful. I’m going to bed before I accidentally-not-accidentally put The Happytime Murders on. 

7 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The little voice in my head that makes me watch terrible films on Netflix made me watch The Dark Tower tonight. Tower of shite, more like. Awful. I’m going to bed before I accidentally-not-accidentally put The Happytime Murders on. 

Whatever you do resist the urge to put that pile of shit on, I did it last week and it's an hour and a half I'll never get back

10 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The little voice in my head that makes me watch terrible films on Netflix made me watch The Dark Tower tonight. Tower of shite, more like. Awful. 

I didn't mind it, actually. I'm sure it's a terrible adaptation but it was a breezy enough 90 minutes.

48 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Whatever you do resist the urge to put that pile of shit on, I did it last week and it's an hour and a half I'll never get back

Too late! I don’t know why, but I’m halfway through it and I’m actually quite enjoying it...

Just saw Yesterday. Typical Richard Curtis fan. Far too predictable and found it average. In terms of music films, it’s no Rocketman 

The Dead Don't Die is one of the biggest disappointments this year. Given the cast and Jim Jarmusch's recent output, I was willing this film to be good, but it never gets going at all and is a bit of a slog. It's a lot of deadpan piss takes on the tired genre that may be clever but are never as funny as they need to be.

There is also a couple of 4th wall breaking gags that are clunky and not very good.

Sigh.

5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Just saw Yesterday. Typical Richard Curtis fan. Far too predictable and found it average. In terms of music films, it’s no Rocketman 

I was put off by the poster I see on practically every bus, it's just Tamwar Masood pulling a face.

2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

The Dead Don't Die is one of the biggest disappointments this year.

I thought that it was amusing enough, but yeah relative to its potential it was nowhere near up to par.

Blinded by the Light

Going to draw lazy Yesterday comparisons due to having an Asian musical lead and a Goodness Gracious Dad.  Set in Thatcher's Luton a young Pakistani lad finds solace in the music of Bruce Springsteen.  It doesn't seem to be able to decide if it wants to be a musical or not->

There's one everyone bursts into a Bruce Springsteen song flashmob style number and lots of Bruce lyrics appear in the air as the song plays

but the drama parts are much better.  Not an essential cinema experience, but probably lean into it if you're more of a fan of The Boss.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I was put off by the poster I see on practically every bus, it's just Tamwar Masood pulling a face.

He’s not bad in it for a first lead role. But it’s so fucking generic. And Ed Sheeran is a shit actor

There are too many musicals and films about musicians around for my liking at the moment. Fucking La La Land.

10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

There are too many musicals and films about musicians around for my liking at the moment. Fucking La La Land.

Fucking Mamma Mia more like.

The Dead Don't Die is pretty much what I expected from a Jim Jarmusch zombie film. It's just that the two things don't mix at all and it ends up being insubstantial as a whole. It's still funny though and the cast are brilliant.

Stuber is a really enjoyable buddy cop film, as I expected. Shame they don't do more with Iko Uwais and Karen Gillan, but Big Dave is an absolute treasure and those rotters who booed him at that Royal Rumble deserve their letterboxes shitting through. Looking forward to seeing what @Scott Malbranque makes of it.