DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

51FPQBZS1NL._SY445_.jpg

Pretty forgotten Kurt Russell movie I think from 2002. It's a bit Training Day mixed with Narc. It's not as good as Training Day but Kurt as usual puts in a good performance as a would do anything to get a result detective who deep down want a to change and do the right thing. It's set around the Rodney King case and it's fully centred from that and all the issues with the riots etc that came with that. I enjoyed it.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Ah, a “I’ll give my thoughts later” post. Haven’t seen one for a while.  Can’t wait 

Well, being a Spurs fan, patience should definitely be one of your virtues.

Like Mr. Danger said earlier, Costner is an everyman actor. His sort of actor is actually dying out a little bit, which is a little sad to see. Nobody's ever going to claim that he's ever had the greatest range as an actor, clearly he hasn't, but he's also far from the only actor in history who has forged a career on playing more or less the same character. Sure, if you don't like his act then it might be hard to warm to him but his development from being a reliable leading man in the 80s and 90s to high quality character actor in the last eight or nine years shows a lot of self-awareness of his standing in the grand scheme of things. I really like him - The Untouchables, No Way Out, Bull Durham, Revenge, JFK, Wyatt Earp, Thirteen Days, Open Range - that's some run as a leading man. And recently he's put out The Highywaymen, Molly's Game, Hidden Figures - and even Criminal, 3 Days to Kill and Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit were good fun.

@Bellenda Carlisle - Yeah, Clive Owen is really shit. There's somebody who's never been told just how bland they are.

@zep81 - Dark Blue is definitely one of the dark horses in Kurt's back catalogue, a superb little film.

Went to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood today. Absolutely not peak Tarantino and, actually, rather aimless in the end. At times it barely even resembles a proper film at all but it makes up for it by always being enjoyable and being filled with interesting characters. I just wanted something that was a significant improvement on The Hateful Eight and, thankfully, we got it.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Went to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood today. Absolutely not peak Tarantino and, actually, rather aimless in the end. At times it barely even resembles a proper film at all but it makes up for it by always being enjoyable and being filled with interesting characters. I just wanted something that was a significant improvement on The Hateful Eight and, thankfully, we got it.

It’s a film which left me underwhelmed when I left, but over time I’ve warmed to it. I think in my head it would focus more on the actual crime. Silly on my part because it’s called Once upon a time for a reason.

Much better then The Hateful Eight though. But I’m replying because Brad Pitt let slip it’s going to get the same Netflix treatment and be split up into a mini series. Not sure how soon that will appear but thought it was interesting 

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Sure, if you don't like his act then it might be hard to warm to him but his development from being a reliable leading man in the 80s and 90s to high quality character actor in the last eight or nine years shows a lot of self-awareness of his standing in the grand scheme of things. I really like him - The Untouchables, No Way Out, Bull Durham, Revenge, JFK, Wyatt Earp, Thirteen Days, Open Range.

@Bellenda Carlisle

@zep81

Costner may be the leading man in those films, but he is never very memorable. Looking at those films looking at his co-stars its it's obvious who is the best actor and stand out character. Sean Connery, Gene Hackman, Susan Sarandon, Tony Quinn and Jon Leguiziamo. Jack Lemmon, Gary Oldman, Sissy Spacek and Ed Asner for JFK. Gene Hackman (again) in Earp. 

The entire reason The Postman is shit, because Costner is the focal point of the film and he simply doesn't have the acting chops to carry a film. He only really works as a lead where he has a strong supporting cast, because whilst he does have some charisma, he doesn't ever stand out.

Edited by Rey_Piste
Can't delete the @s sorry.

Just now, LaGoosh said:

Kevin Costner is fucking great in The Untouchables so anyone slating him is just completely wrong.

tenor.gif?itemid=11411653

Or are you confusing it for him being a blank void that you can pretend to be. With Sean Connery being  a badass and De Niro's scary portrayal of Al Capone.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

The entire reason The Postman is shit, because Costner is the focal point of the film and he simply doesn't have the acting chops to carry a film. 

No, the reason The Postman is shit is because it's shit. It was never going to work, regardless of who was in the lead. It was a piss-poor idea, badly executed.

As for not thinking Costner was great in The Untouchables, I mean, what more would you expect from him in that particular role? He played the character of Elliot Ness *exactly* as he needed to be. He was never meant to be the showboat of the piece, but the level-headed centre of it. You turn him into some more charismatic hothead and the whole thing is unbalanced.

8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

No, the reason The Postman is shit is because it's shit. It was never going to work, regardless of who was in the lead. It was a piss-poor idea, badly executed.

As for not thinking Costner was great in The Untouchables, I mean, what more would you expect from him in that particular role? He played the character of Elliot Ness *exactly* as he needed to be. He was never meant to be the showboat of the piece, but the level-headed centre of it. You turn him into some more charismatic hothead and the whole thing is unbalanced.

The Postman could've worked with a charismatic lead actor (AKA not Costner) and a better director. (Again not Costner).

Ness is always portrayed as a stoic, calm level headed person. When in reality he was an alcoholic, wife beating philanderer. With him having 4 different wives and being caught driving drunk on several occasions. The majority of which were covered up and only came out many years later.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

Ness is always portrayed as a stoic, calm level headed person. When in reality he was an alcoholic, wife beating philanderer. With him having 4 different wives and being caught driving drunk on several occasions.

That may or may not be the case, but what does that have to do with Costner? He played the role exactly as was required by Brian De Palma and was the right man for what De Palma wanted. If De Palma wanted a portrayal that was truer to life then obviously Costner wouldn't have been a perfect fit. But that's not the Ness we were presented with.