DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I just spend most of IT 2 trying to work out where I knew the adult version of the fat lad from. Got to home and looked at the cast to then realise it was Jack Scully from Neighbours.

I didn’t mind it, but you could’ve easily left half an hour out of it. I knew it long, but even then there was still a couple of points where I was looking at my watch.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Jack Scully cosplaying as Dr Strange to be precise. I liked it and all but the thing that worked best was the psychological horror. The suspense of waiting for the scare was way more uncomfortable than the scares were scary and it's so bloody long that even that has no effect after a while. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I thought chapter 2 was a fucking mess. The first 45 minutes or so were top notch though. The ending was a disaster but the book ending is basically unfilmable so I guess they did what they could. Ziggy from The Wire was unbelievably shite as was the guy who played grown up Henry Bowers, grown up Ben was completely forgettable. McAvoy, Chastain and the almighty Hader were fantastic. Overall, preferred the first movie by miles. Would have liked them to delve into It's history and true origin much more. The early Pennywise scenes in the film were my favourite bits for sure.

The Green Mile

My girlfriend had never seen it before so we decided to give it a go as it was Film4 this week. 

Nearly three and a half hours long (we had to watch it in two sittings) but it doesn't feel like it. I don't think you could really cut anything out without it affecting the plot even if you wanted to trim it down. It's a marvellous piece of storytelling. It's does all the fantasy/magical parts really well without them seeming cheesy and out of place. The guy that plays the guard, Percy, plays a real good horrible cunt.

I think Tom Hanks really makes this movie. I think it would have fallen flat on it's arse without him. Or without Michael Clarke Duncan. Imagine if they'd have got Shaquille O'Neal to play John Coffey like they original wanted. 

6 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

The Green Mile

Nearly three and a half hours long (we had to watch it in two sittings) but it doesn't feel like it. 

Did it feel more like one two hour film and one ninety minute film?

25 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah I thought chapter 2 was a fucking mess. The first 45 minutes or so were top notch though. The ending was a disaster but the book ending is basically unfilmable so I guess they did what they could. Ziggy from The Wire was unbelievably shite as was the guy who played grown up Henry Bowers, grown up Ben was completely forgettable. McAvoy, Chastain and the almighty Hader were fantastic. Overall, preferred the first movie by miles. Would have liked them to delve into It's history and true origin much more. The early Pennywise scenes in the film were my favourite bits for sure.

Yeah, the origins would have at least given the director a little more room to maneuver creatively as it's not particularly explored that much in the book. 

I thought Mike was a bit shit too. I liked the idea that he was unhinged having to stay in Derry and carry all that mental luggage for everyone but it wasn't a great portrayal of that.

Ultimately between the two films there's a great film to be cut out but fuck knows how you'd manage it.

• Paid Members

I miss Michael Clarke Duncan. Very often one of the best elements in nearly every film I've seen him in. Certainly was the best part of Daredevil, and ran Hanks close in The Green Mile. And what little we got to see of him in Sin City, he did very well.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I miss Michael Clarke Duncan. Very often one of the best elements in nearly every film I've seen him in. Certainly was the best part of Daredevil, and ran Hanks close in The Green Mile. And what little we got to see of him in Sin City, he did very well.

He was funny too. Stood out in Taladaga Nights 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah, the origins would have at least given the director a little more room to maneuver creatively as it's not particularly explored that much in the book. 

It's origin and motivations are explored quite a bit in the book, in the movie they just glossed over it. They never really explain what It actually is. Definite missed opportunity. 

• Paid Members

Nick of Time was a grand flick, wasn't it? I didn't really like it on first viewing because I thought it was trying too hard to be an actual Hitchcock flick (even down to the camera work), but on subsequent viewings, I've really come to like it.

Green Mile was absolutely atrocious. I remember every cunt roard’ning crying around me at the end of the flick in the cinema, and the hype was outrageous because the world was expecting Shawshank 2. I had a huge row with my now ex on the way out of the foyer because I said the flick was a load of shite and the only good thing in it was Sam Rockwell, and she then called me a racist.
So I have bad memories of a lot to do with that fucking picture.

Dead Man Walking and Into the Abyss. Those are good Death Row flicks.

• Paid Members

I've never actually seen Nick of Time, for some reason. I remember Empire giving it a panning, back when I listened to their opinion, that might be why. Should put it on at some point.

I haven't seen The Green Mile either and it's going to stay that way.

• Paid Members

I'd steer well clear of The Green Mile, D-Mal.

Actually, until Houchey said that about Green Mile, I just chalked my dislike for it down to another flick - like Goodfellas - that the world likes, but I don't. Sickeningly sweet, contrived nonsense.

I've just realised, I've never seen Soderbergh's 'Traffic'. Is it any good? Was just trawling t'interweb and stumbled on it because I was looking at 21 Grams on IMDB...

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

It's origin and motivations are explored quite a bit in the book, in the movie they just glossed over it. They never really explain what It actually is. Definite missed opportunity. 

I only really remember the origins being mentioned near the end of the book when they do the smoke hut in the den.

Talking of Empire being shitarse reviewer's, 5 stars they gave Chapter 2! I know it's subjective but fucking hell.