DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Going back to talking about DVDs and films you have watched recently, Ari Aster has released a director's cut of Midsommar, which clocks in at 171 minutes. I'm half tempted to watch it just to see if it's possible to make that film any slower and duller than it already was.

Having a binge of the Star Wars films, and managed to blast through the prequels today.

Phantom Menace is still utterly turgid on the basis of absolutely fuck all happening, combined with robust performances due to a script that nobody could've done well with and the complete insistence of forcing CGI bollocks into every fucking scene. The pod racing scene, Duel of the Fates and the bit where Qui-Gon says "that'll complicate things" are the only bright spots in this horrible two hour watch. Fucking trade federation blockades.

Attack of the Clones isn't much better, but at least there's a central story line (despite being completely unbelievable and rushed) and the characters have something to them. It's during this film I begin to realise the Jedi are massive dickheads and the thought of them being wiped out in Revenge of the Sith isn't that disheartening. AOTC is absolutely all over the place though, in terms of plot, character motivation and personalities, the explanations and usage of the Force, it's absolutely bonkers. Some decent enjoyment though, with enough mindless fun to be entertained.

Revenge of the Sith is always a guilty pleasure for me. I bloody love it. The performance of McDiarmid is great, his scenes would get this film a pass alone. The opening of rescuing Palpatine, Obi Wan vs Grevious, Mace Windu getting battered, Anakin turning into Vader. All great shit. The last 20 minutes are absolutely excellent. Not without it's problems, of course (Padme doing sweet fuck all, dedicating 10 minutes to Kashykk just to shove Chewbacca into the film, dialogue still jarring) but such an improvement over the first two.

I fucking hate Mace Windu, mind. Belittling little goon.

Moving on to the original trilogy next. I've always preferred Return of the Jedi to Empire. I'll see if my viewpoint has changed after an updated viewing.

Edited by AdamTH17

Long held the belief that Sith is the absolute best of the prequels, I just can't take anything Hayden Christiensen says seriously though, every line he has in Clones and Sith come off as so wooden he may as well have been a cut out. Ewan McGregor is the stand out actor across the three films though, especially Sith as the older, wiser and pre Guinness version of Obi-Wan

Empire Records

One of my favourites growing up, and has aged fairly well I would say.

A better film than Mallrats (not saying much to some of you), and an absolute cracker of a soundtrack, and Liv Tyler and Renee Zellwegger, but I will always belong to Robin Tunneys Debs. A fuck up after my own heart.

Damn the man, save the empire. 

• Paid Members

Why anybody would willingly REWATCH Star Wars episodes one to three has always confused me. Three terrible films that nobody would care about if they weren't part of the Star Wars universe. There's a reason why the new ones make almost no reference to them and it's because they're worthless.

Anyway, watched a pretty good crime film called Citizen X last night, about Russian serial killer Andrei Chikatilo. Enjoyed this, but has there been a more underrated actor in the last 30 years than Stephen Rea? I don't think so.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Empire Records

One of my favourites growing up, and has aged fairly well I would say.

A better film than Mallrats (not saying much to some of you), and an absolute cracker of a soundtrack, and Liv Tyler and Renee Zellwegger, but I will always belong to Robin Tunneys Debs. A fuck up after my own heart.

Damn the man, save the empire. 

Most disappointing thing is that most of the best songs in the film didn't actually make it on the soundtrack. This was a massive film for me in my teens though, along with 'Can't Hardly Wait'. Not sure how well that's help up though? May have been skewed by my Jennifer Love Hewitt obsession.

81ySpJy3woL._SY445_.jpg

An ex soldier (David) played really well by Jordan Henderson, arrives at the house of a fellow soldiers' family home claiming he was a former friend. He gets invited to stay and makes himself at home by helping the family. But before long, strange occurrences start to happen and soon David is under suspicion as someone who may well not be who he claims to be.

Very stylish thriller with a good performance by the ever reliable Henderson. It's got that 80's vibe with the music and it reminds me of Drive. Enjoyed this.

Okay, I know it's Dan Stevens

:D and he's excellent in this

• Paid Members

Finally got round to seeing Blinded By The Light (it was in and out of most local cinemas quick sharp). I thought it was a little hokey and a bit Eastenders with the acting to begin with, but it definitely won me over by the end - crying again; the state of it.

Definitely don't need to be a Bruce fan to enjoy it. Although I think most of the music tie-ins were the weakest part of the film. Gave me a new appreciation for the excellent Rocketman (a shout for my favourite film this year) that gets all that spot on.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, 5pints said:

Just got round to watching Shazaam. Good but not great. Definitely something missing from it that I couldn't quite put my finger on except maybe far too many fight scenes between hero and villain. 

Sounds a bit superhero-y to me.

I watched Local Hero last night, which was brilliant. Jenny Seagrove's accent was absolutely appalling but everything else about it was a delight, the sort of small town comedy that I'm surprised we haven't done more of in this country, we seem perfectly suited to them.

Bait

Got the week off work and saw that this was playing in my local independant cinema. Seemed to be getting some rave reviews so I thought I'd give it a go.

Great film about the small fishing town Cornish life and how it's slowly being taken over by out of town, city folk who think they're doing their bit to help the local economy by renting out one of their holiday homes they have on AirBnB.  A nice social commentary on gentrification. 

It starts off pretty slow but it's really good once it get going. It's all filmed with 16mm cameras and all the dialogue and sound is added in post which I think adds to the uneasy aspect of the movie. Some really great acting in there too that seems very real.

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Bait

Got the week off work and saw that this was playing in my local independant cinema. Seemed to be getting some rave reviews so I thought I'd give it a go.

Great film about the small fishing town Cornish life and how it's slowly being taken over by out of town, city folk who think they're doing their bit to help the local economy by renting out one of their holiday homes they have on AirBnB.  A nice social commentary on gentrification. 

It starts off pretty slow but it's really good once it get going. It's all filmed with 8mm cameras and all the dialogue and sound is added in post which I think adds to the uneasy aspect of the movie. Some really great acting in there too that seems very real.

I really want to see this but as usual nowhere round here has scheduled it at a friendly time.

I did go to see Crawl and Angel Has Fallen though, both of which were excellent. The latter is definitely the best of that series and before some smartarse says, "Huh yeah like that's hard!" it actually is because it's a very decent action series. Gerard Butler looks like he's melting though.

Crawl was a cracking monster movie too. I personally prefer more humour in this sort of thing but it just keeps building and building tension. Laughed out loud at the end credits song and I'm sure everyone else would have too if there was anyone else in the screening.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

IT 2 was a bag of shite. They could have easily turned this into a trilogy and not had this as baggy, or just cut out a lot of the stuff in this one as it doesn't work for the film. The book has always been a cocaine fueled mess (at times great) and they did an excellent job in the first one adapting it. This just seemed bloated, like the success had allowed them to do whatever they wanted. There's strands that just never get picked up. Chastain continues to be an incredibly annoying presence on screen.

Bill Hader is great in it though. Steals the thing. He's pretty tremendous in everything. After 'Barry', I will be shocked if he doesn't go on to be a top Film Director.