DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

Yup, I definitely felt a split in the audience the first time I saw it. Second time the audience were really into that final scene.

It's very much a 'hang out' film in the vein of Jackie Brown. I think it'll probably end up being his most watchable as you just enjoy those characters. Also I hate the criticism of it being indulgent. Fuck it, I'm all up for a filmmaker showing off, least he gives a shit

• Paid Members
Just now, LEGIT said:

You saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yet? 

Can't go until the kids go back, so might be mid-September. Not hugely excited for it after The Hateful Eight.

12 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can't go until the kids go back, so might be mid-September. Not hugely excited for it after The Hateful Eight.

I thought it was much better than The Hateful Eight. 

I'm an overly emotional softie of a man these days, and throughout the movie I was worried they'd make a mockery of the murders and the events surrounding it. In the end I don't think they did.

IMO, Pitt and DiCaprio are as stellar leads as you can get and they didn't disappoint. You obviously know you're watching a Tarantino movie but to me that's not a bad thing. 

Don't want to spoil it so I'll say no more but I think you'll enjoy it. 

Edited by LEGIT

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

I thought it was much better than The Hateful Eight. 

I'm an overly emotional softie of a man these days, and throughout the movie I was worried they'd make a mockery of the murders and the events surrounding it. In the end I don't think they did.

IMO, Pitt and DiCaprio are as stellar leads as you can get and they didn't disappoint. You obviously know you're watching a Tarantino movie but to me that's not a bad thing. 

Don't want to spoil it so I'll say no more but I think you'll enjoy it. 

Aside from The Hateful Eight (and Kill Bill vol. 2), I like Tarantino's films so I do hope it's a return to form.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Dunkirk

What a boring film. I was looking forward to this and didn’t see it at the cinema for reasons but yeah, was just really boring. 

What a shame. Should’ve just watched the Dicky Attenborough one.

Great sound editing, and that’s it. Nolan is so overrated 

• Awards Moderator

Saw Once Upon a Time In Hollywood to kill time until UKFF came back up. 

I absolutely adored it. Me and the mate I went with love Tarantino films, and we prepared ourselves for long, indulgent scenes and dialogue that leads nowhere. There is tons of that, so if you're looking for an edge of your seat thriller this ain't it. Instead you get great performances from brilliant actors enjoying the scenery, which rockets to a climax in the last 30 minutes. It's a fastidiously detailed love letter to a particular time and place and I can't wait to watch it again. 

Edit: oh and it's no surprise that the soundtrack is corking, but the official version has these wonderful 50 year old stings and ads from an LA station that just makes it. 

Edited by Onyx2

Just an excellent, superbly crafted film.  Even though it's long, it just flew by for me.  I could have watched another 20 mins of Teak Brad Pitt driving around LA listening to ads.

My favourite film of his since Jackie Brown and one of the best performances Brad Pitt has given imo.  

I know he's rumoured to be retiring after one more film, but I would love to see a Tarantino TV show after this.  He obviously loves the format and understands the appeal.  A Tarantino helmed Western TV series is now my most wanted thing.