DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

Double post, sorry, but we went to see Blinded By The Light last night and loved it. A film to put a smile on your face. We're both massive Bruce fans, and his music's played a big part in my life. When I was going through a tough time with family situations about 10 years ago, listening the joy and fun of 'Out In The Street' got me through it; when I was having mental health troubles, reading Bruce's book was the catalyst for me to go and see someone and start getting it sorted; when I proposed to my fiancee I made sure 'Hungry Heart' was playing when I did it. So with all that in mind, the feelings and the spirit running through it of how someone's music (specifically Springsteen here, but it could be anyone) can touch you and affect your life and help you and develop you really hit home. The realisation as Javed hears 'The Promised Land' for the first time is electric (which to be fair, the film hammers home in quite a literal sense). It's joyous and fun and if you like Springsteen (even if you don't) you must see it - @Frankie Crisp, get thee to the cinema. 

It's also a really interesting dive into Britain circa 1987. That's around the time I was born so I have very little idea of what things were like then, but this really gets it over, with unemployment, National Front, and undercurrents (not really undercurrents) of racism that make you think "thank goodness things have got bett... oh shit wait, fucking hell Britain, why aren't you past this". 

Wonderful film.

• Awards Moderator

Nice one, @HarmonicGenerator! Wanted to watch it last night but my weekend plans are chocker, so I’ve booked to watch it on Monday. Really been looking forward to it, for similar reasons as to why you did - relating his music to parts of my life which helped me more than I realised at the time. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Got treated to this in leather reclining armchairs and got a massive kick out of it.  Difficult to discuss the plot without giving too much away, but Leo and Brad look like they're having a ton of fun.

I saw it at a preview yesterday and I don't think a Tarantino film has aver affected me as much as this one. As you mentioned, its hard to discuss without the plot being mentioned, but I cannot wait to see it again. It absolutely blew me away.

14 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

When's it out properly? I've never seen a Tarantino film in the cinema and my wife has plans this weekend. I might treat myself to getting blazed and taking in a solo show

The 14th. My local is showing most of his films prior to it opening, maybe see if your one is too? I'd like to see Pulp Fiction on it. Saw Jackie Brown as my Dad thought that was appropriate for a 12 year-old to see at the cinema. 

• Paid Members

Enjoyed Hobbs & Shaw a lot but I do think James Wan or Justin Lin need to return to this franchise to get it back to something approaching its Fast Five to Furious 7 peak. Vanessa Kirby is utterly delightful though, someone give her her own franchise.

• Paid Members

Found Once Upon A Time In Hollywood the most annoying, self-indulgent and irritating Tarantino movie so far. A lot of what's there is really good, but it goes further than Inglorious Basterds in terms of taking immature narrative turns that really turned me off it.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Chris B said:

Found Once Upon A Time In Hollywood the most annoying, self-indulgent and irritating Tarantino movie so far. A lot of what's there is really good, but it goes further than Inglorious Basterds in terms of taking immature narrative turns that really turned me off it.

I agree with you. Maybe I was expecting a different movie. Some good turns, but left feeling underwhelmed as did a lot of the audience as they were discussing it on the way out. Also it’s 20 minutes shorter then Avengers Endgame, yet felt like it lasted 4 hours.