The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members

DUw2rx0XcAEACxh?format=jpg&name=900x900

A bill from that period, with them booked against Randy and Lanny - given the location, and the Gulf Coast Tag titles, that would put this show in Roy Welch/Ron Fuller's territory. 

They also worked as a team together in the UK, but not under the Bulldogs name.

John Foley perhaps more famous for his run in Stampede with a Hitler 'stache, and allegedly paying Dynamite Kid to break his daughter's legs for insurance money.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Would that likely have genuinely been a 3-match card, anyone know?

The way all 3 matches are labelled with a position (Opener/Semi-Final/Main Event) suggests that possibility. Or is it more a case that they're telling you one of the 'top' 3 advertised matches will be the opener to make sure you turn up on time, and that there would have been other matches too?

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Statto said:

Would that likely have genuinely been a 3-match card, anyone know?

The way all 3 matches are labelled with a position (Opener/Semi-Final/Main Event) suggests that possibility. Or is it more a case that they're telling you one of the 'top' 3 advertised matches will be the opener to make sure you turn up on time, and that there would have been other matches too?

Since it suggests it's a TV taping, I suspect it's just showing what matches would be shown on TV, rather than the card as a whole.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

Looking through results from the Gulf Coast territory in the 70s, Hattiesburg tended to have four match shows, though quite often that would involve some guys wrestling twice with either a tag or a battle royale to finish.

Totally speculating, but it may be that title matches were 2/3 falls, so if you had two title matches that would be enough for a "full" show by the venue's standards.

• Awards Moderator

I nearly created a new thread for this as the photo is hilarious. PWI have named AJ Styles Wrestler of the Decade. 

But I'm sure it's Luke Gallows in cosplay. 

cwfvbl3p7yk41.jpg.57c2db081f49004401b9a48b3cc27733.jpg

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Doing their decade end awards in March in an issue dated June.

Oh, and $6.99!

Boring reply: on US magazines, the date on the cover tends to be the pull date rather than date of first publication, so presumably they're only bringing out an issue once every two or three months, hence the June date on an issue that will go on sale later this month. 

As for year-end/decade-end awards, most likely comes down to wrestling magazines having for a long time used Wrestlemania as the start/end of the wrestling "year", but then it's been thrown out by their publishing schedule.

Still amazed that PWI is still going, though.

I'm guessing they did an "of the year" awards feature in a previous issue, too, so it'd make some sense to hold off a bit on the decade ones.

3 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I don't have any context for these [although in fairness I think context in this instance would only ruin the brilliance of these pictures]

Giant Baba, Tarzan Goto, Jumbo Tsuruta, Mighty Inoue and Hiromichi Fuyuki
ImageImageImage

that from a special edition of takeshi's castle?

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I nearly created a new thread for this as the photo is hilarious. PWI have named AJ Styles Wrestler of the Decade. 

But I'm sure it's Luke Gallows in cosplay. 

cwfvbl3p7yk41.jpg.57c2db081f49004401b9a48b3cc27733.jpg

It’s definitely Gallows’ chin…