NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Velveteen Dream is a potential WrestleMania headliner, he's the complete package who lives and breathes the business.

There's also a chance they Fandango him on the main roster. He'll have to be handled with care but the potential is insane with him.

The fact they built the match around Dream and Richochet battling to show who is 'the future of NXT' makes me think and hope that it means they'll be sticking around in NXT for a while yet, Dream should definitely have a run with the belt first before he moves up

When you watch the Dream at the moment, it feels like you're watching a young Macho Man or a young HBK.  He's just got this fantastic character and charisma, and in 5 years time he'll own that Wrestlemania Main Event entrance.  These two guys made this match feel hugely important, even though it was just a mid card NXT bout.

Massive props for not only the Hulk Hogan entrance and attire, but the first couple of minutes of the match were lifted straight out of Hogan/Rock 1.  In fact, the whole way through it felt they both had an instinctive understanding of how to work that crowd, and that's something that so, so many main roster guys just can't do.

Super impressed.

Velveteen Dream is a fucking megastar, but there's no way posturing alpha dinosaur Vince is letting an effete black man near the Mania main event. It's a shame too, as the time is great for a proper positive LBGTQ-inspired character that isn't defined by sexuality but by who they are and what they do. Dream also needs a lot more seasoning between the ropes, and a change of the guard in the production and booking team on the main roster. Keep him in NXT a bit longer, throw some challenging opponents at him and build up his confidence even more. Bring him up around Summerslam next year, then stick a rocket on him for Mania 2020.

Please let Dream stay in NXT until the main roster scene drastically changes. I have ZERO. ZERO confidence in the creative department of the main shows to do anything with any of the top class wrestlers they have at their disposal.And to think how they could waste Velveteen Dream makes me sick. I'm being dramatic I know, but WWE could be so much more than it is, and it's just sad that it isn't.

But on the plus side, drink in what The Dream is offering in NXT, for as long as it's on tap. Wonderful.

I also immediately thought Ciampa/Gargano deserves, and demands, a Hell In A Cell blow-off. It would be fitting for a Summerslam Takeover show, but I guess it depends on how comfortable they would be doing that so close to a potential second WarGames. I don't think Team Gargano Vs Team Ciampa rocks my boat as much.

• Paid Members

I watch very little wrestling in full these days, i can't stomach the WWE product and keep with everything through podcasts pretty much, but i gave Takeover a go and i thought it was pretty fucking great, i skipped the women but i enjoyed fuck out the remaining 4 matches. Think i need to stick with it weekly.

• Paid Members

Velveteen Dream is absolutely astonishing. Hardly a groundbreaking point, but finally watched Takeover last night and he just impresses me more and more every time. Can't remember the last time I saw someone who just got it like he does, and so ridiculously early in his career as well.

I've said it before, but I love that he has different gear every show, that he wears different clothes every time he's doing an interview. It makes him feel like a real human being, rather than just a living action figure, how most WWE wrestlers wear the same stuff every time, and always wear their own branded T-shirt, as if you need to be constantly reminded who they are, and if they put on a different shirt or jacket you'd not recognise them. It shows how strong a character is when they can change up their look and still be recognisably the same character - so much so that they couldn't be any other character, in fact.

I have zero faith in Velveteen Dream, in his current form, to translate well to the main roster - but I don't think he'll be turned into a complete comedy act, I think there's too much good there to work with, and he's a homegrown WWE talent, which will probably work in his favour.

Also, Ricochet managing to hold on to a side headlock and actually work it after getting pushed into the ropes, rather than breaking it and moving on to the next part of the spot because that's how it's always done, did more to make me like him than any number of shooting star press planchas ever will.

• Paid Members

Although I liked their Aussie Rules style jerseys, I like The Mighty’s new look even more.

Because Nick Miller has finally stopped wearing his old Mikey Nicholls “MN” boots.