NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I can completely understand why it would frustrate and irk the major majority of people. I didn't particularly enjoy it but I didn't dislike it either. However I'd rather they have dueling chants for an extended period of time then just dead silence and/or smark bullshit. Of course, we'd all rather have a crowd who are naturally reacting at the match but dueling chants are low on the ladder of annoying shit that modern crowds do.

Edited by Accident Prone

40 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I can completely understand why it would frustrate and irk the major majority of people. I didn't particularly enjoy it but I didn't dislike it either. However I'd rather they have dueling chants for an extended period of time then just dead silence and/or smark bullshit. Of course, we'd all rather have a crowd who are naturally reacting at the match but dueling chants are low on the ladder of annoying shit that modern crowds do.

I didn't think it was that annoying and as you said, could have been much worse.  They could have chanted "all these guys".

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, ND 3:16 said:

Not as annoying as "One Fall".  That grinds my gears.

I'm fine with "ONE FALL!!!" as it doesn't actually affect the match itself and is a nice way to get the crowd warmed up before the action starts. When I used to go to my local indy, the crowds were mainly made up of families, who were real quiet during the show opening and typical "Are you ready?!?!?" kickstart stuff from the announcer. The wrestlers would make their entrances to some noise but not a lot. So when the "ONE FALL!!!" response happens from us nerds hanging out the back, it's the first big reaction of the night, and all the kids and moms and dads feel comfortable to scream and shout and boo and cheer for the rest of the show.

So aye, "ONE FALL!!!" is okay in my book.

4 minutes ago, The Dart said:

I didn't think it was that annoying and as you said, could have been much worse.  They could have chanted "all these guys".

Christ, that's one of the worse. "This Is Wresting/Awesome" is total abomination as well. 

As an aside, how many threads on here eventually turn into discussions/rants about modern crowds? Seems like a regular occurrence.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

As an aside, how many threads on here eventually turn into discussions/rants about modern crowds? Seems like a regular occurrence.

It is and it's far too often because they're tedious cunts. It's probably necessary though because it's such an influence on the declining quality of the product and has been for years now. This hardcore fanbase who attend TV and PPV shows dictate what WWE do far more than ever before. We're in an era of poorly defined characters, over-abundance of in-ring action, over-reliance on outsider "dream" matches and parity booking and it all feels like appeasement that doesn't actually please anyone.

It's gone on for far too long and has ruined potential stars and not done the majority of the indy favourites any good either. The sooner they get back to solid wrestling 101 booking with long-term goals and outcomes, the better. As much as NXT has the advantage of only having 1 hour of TV, having a crowd full of noisy virgins and having the turnover of talent shrewdly pointed out earlier - it also adheres to the fundamentals of wrestling booking. It tells the majority audience viewing who they should like, who they should hate and why they should care who wins their fight.

• Paid Members

So it looks like Matt Riddle is on his way in. Like everyone else, he’ll probably have a great NXT career before floundering on the main roster.

It got me thinking though, if you look at everyone, NXT, Raw, Smackdown, 205 Live and now NXT U.K., have they ever had so much good talent under contract at the same time? It’s crazy how many great guys they have, even if they’re not used to ther full potential. 

What is everyone’s “full potential” though? The shitty parity booking is, like Rick says, an unsuccessful attempt at appeasing the “you’re not using him properly” moaners. On a card full of internet darlings, half of them need to lose. So the options are the 50/50 wank they do now, or just designating some of them as the frequent winners and some as the frequent losers. And then people would complain that so-and-so is being buried or not used to their full potential. If they’re all main eventers, nobody is really a main eventer.

• Paid Members

I think just by simply having so much talent and airing so much television is why  most guys don’t reach their full potential. It’s not something I’ve ever really considered until recently but there’s becoming an argument where they definitely have too many great guys, meaning it’s impossible for them to stand out. I bet that probably plays a factor in the shitty 50/50 stuff, too. They don’t want anyone to be designated losers because everyone is so good.

205 Live is what hammers it home for me. There’s a few really great guys on that show having phenomenal matches, but there’s so much fucking product that nobody is even watching and someone who could be a star is lost in the shuffle with the rest of the guys who are almost as talented. Never before has it felt like we need less top Indy talent and a few more average jobbers.

I’m completely with you though. Fuck the clock-counting-down mongs who might moan. Bury some guys ten feet deep if it means we get a clear pecking order of main eventers, mid carders and losers. At least once that’s been established it’s much easier to move guys up or down the card as you see fit. You can’t do that when everyone is at the same level indefinitely. 

Edited by Supremo

I'm actually suprised at that they have signed riddle if it's true.

Not because he's not good enough because he obviously is, just because of his history with getting fired from the ufc for drugs and his open and honest opinion with his use of weed and how he uses it.

With how strict they are about drugs ext I would be interested too see what happens with him in the old wwe system 

• Awards Moderator

Fantastic episode this week.

I think the thing that's finally won me over properly to Undisputed Era is the little 'boom' they do in time to their music on the apron. Anyway, the post-match stuff with them being surrounded by rivals and enemies was great, I can't decide who I want to get their hands on Era more. All I know for sure is War Raiders need to change their shit names. Rowe and Hanson. I ask you.

The Shayna and Kairi press conference was great stuff, mainly because of Shayna. Bianca Belair's little interview was really good too.

And the main event - superbly built to throughout the episode, brilliantly executed. It went the way I expected it to, but the way they got there was excellent. Black's best title match for sure.

Riddle is on xpacs podcast this week, and talks very much like someone who wants signed. Maybe he’s decided a few good money wwe years is worth going pot free. That or he’s now prescribed it in California medically and that covers that base 

• Paid Members

Excellent show. Ciampa just keeps getting better and better. What a horrible, detestable prick. Not only is the heel of the year but I can’t think of anyone from the past few years who even comes close. When was the last time we had such an authentic, pure, you-absolute-bastard heel like this? Great decision putting the title on him. Can’t wait to see where this storyline goes from here. Surely it’s got to end with Gargano wining the belt in some mad, crazy crescendo? 

Edited by Supremo

• Awards Moderator

You'd have to think that's where it's going. The title would have been the missing x-factor in their third (final, I hope) match, with Johnny decisively taking everything away from Ciampa by winning.

Meanwhile, I hope Aleister's looking forward to his autumn trading wins with Dolph Ziggler.