NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

It’s incredible with how he’s made it work. He had a couple of appearances when he first started doing it which looked like the gimmick was going to be horrendous stuff, but once they started with the vignettes and debuted it properly, it’s been mostly fantastic all the way

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, that’s true, and that’s what’s nice about it in a way. It didn’t just appear on TV fully formed - it took a few appearances to work on it and develop it - in developmental, no less! - before it really clicked with him and it was off to the races. I wasn’t keen on it at first and I think that’s partly because we’re so conditioned into not thinking NXT is first and foremost the developmental territory.

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Velveteen Dream’s entire act might be the Performance Centre’s greatest achievement. Unlike the majority of guys who come from the independents fully formed, The Dream seems to come out of nowhere with the most nuanced, interesting character in forever. I loved him brushing off the Tough Enough appearance. He’s awesome.

I think we forget now due to how bland/insignificant they have/did become but NXT/PC have produced some great characters over the years - Bray Wyatt and the Wyatt Family was so different I genuinely could not wait for their main roster debuts, Bo Dallas' deluded 'Bo-lieve' gimmick, Tyler Breeze's HBK/The Model 2.0 gimmick... it says something when the feeder system can produce interesting characters yet the main roster struggles/kills them stone dead.

• Paid Members

It's a small detail, but I love that NXT still employs the technique of ringing the bell when a fight breaks out. Adds an extra layer of chaos and drama to the proceedings. Little touches like that are what make NXT the best all-round weekly 'rasslin show.

• Awards Moderator

That’s the best I’ve seen Kyle O’Reilly by some distance. Great match with Pete Dunne that Full Sail seemed mega into. Was that legitimate or were they just really loud because someone in the audience was acting the twat or had a beachball? It’s sad that I now have to assume a noisy crowd is because they’re trying to get themselves over rather than the wrestlers being over.

I would imagine HHH probably does, but i’d Imagine Vince being a bit more “British eh? Get this monocle & bowler on”

Im surprised Vince hasn’t made more of a push for Drew McIntyre since he was brought back, unless it’s a fear of treading old ground. Which is a shame because Drew looks physically phenomenal

• Paid Members

They're doing British Strong Style vs. Undisputed Era at the UK show, so it's odd that they've been keeping up a Cole/Dunne rivalry on NXT, without doing anything at Takeover, and with Pete teaming with Burch & Lorcan instead of Moustache Mountain.

Edited by BomberPat

I’m guessing they’ll have Cole and Fish interfere at the point when it looks like Lorcan and Burch will win, do a beat down only for Dunne to make the save then have Bate and Severn save Dunne when the numbers get too much, BSS chase off UE and cut a promo plug for the 6 man on Monday

It does feel like Burch and Lorcan are subbing for Moustache Mountain, but I don't mind as honestly I prefer them.  Pete Dunne is great, but I really want him to try some different ring gear, the singlet just feels wrong.

I never thought the Velveteen Dream was going to work.  When they first introduced the Patrick Clarke Experience gimmick I like it, but then the name change and a big helping of homo-eroticism made it look like a surefire disaster.

Somehow he's weathered the storm and brought it all together.  I suspect they might drop the 'Velveteen' bit when he's called up.

@Supremo was asking whether the NXT booking style will transition over to Raw and Smackdown eventually.  I'm sure that's HHH's plan - not only the booking, but he's putting together a whole production team there, so tv directors, road agents, lighting, music... it's the production as well as the booking that is great.

He'll have to win a civil war with Kevin Dunn and his generation first.  You'd assume that being married to Stephanie will give him the edge.