NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

How good was that 2 on 1 match!?

We were talking earlier in the week about shitty writing on the main shows, and it's especially frustrating when on their "development" brand is such evidence of how to actually tell stories in-ring, without even cutting promos.

Out of that one match, you accomplish 3 things - you make Lars Sullivan look like a fucking beast and improve his claim on a title shot, you continue to show the fans what Ricochet is capable of and increase his stock, and you light a fire under the Dream/Ricochet feud.  All through the medium of, you know, wrestling.

I'm not (heavens knows) a workrate pervert or a hardcore wrestling fan, and I love a silly angle as much as the next guy, but about 50% of what Raw does with terribly written promos, they could do with action. 

Oh, and just to undermine my own point somewhat, Shayna Bazsler's backstage promos are fucking brilliant.  She looks legit with the leather jacket and the title, too as well as extremely fit in a terrifying snaggletoothed way.

• Paid Members

This is one of the chief frustrations I have with Raw and occasionally Smackdown - NXT proves that they CAN write compelling content, they've proven it time and time again for years by this point. The big money deals are great for Raw and Smackdown and you can't question their production values, but the biggest frustration for many will always be the creative element and how they struggle to help some stars fulfil their true potential. I think NXT's been writing compelling stuff for long enough now that you can look at it objectively without rose-tinted glasses on as just an 'internet darling' of a promotion (for want of a better term). 

Amazingly they keep adding further intriguing layers to the Gargano/Ciampa rivalry. Haven't been so invested in a rivalry like this in a while. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Loki said:

How good was that 2 on 1 match!?

We were talking earlier in the week about shitty writing on the main shows, and it's especially frustrating when on their "development" brand is such evidence of how to actually tell stories in-ring, without even cutting promos.

Out of that one match, you accomplish 3 things - you make Lars Sullivan look like a fucking beast and improve his claim on a title shot, you continue to show the fans what Ricochet is capable of and increase his stock, and you light a fire under the Dream/Ricochet feud.  All through the medium of, you know, wrestling.

I'm not (heavens knows) a workrate pervert or a hardcore wrestling fan, and I love a silly angle as much as the next guy, but about 50% of what Raw does with terribly written promos, they could do with action. 

Oh, and just to undermine my own point somewhat, Shayna Bazsler's backstage promos are fucking brilliant.  She looks legit with the leather jacket and the title, too as well as extremely fit in a terrifying snaggletoothed way.

I've never really thought about it like this before, but I think that's why I much prefer watching matches on NXT than Raw or Smackdown. On NXT, almost every match has a reason for existing and something it's trying to achieve, whether that's progressing an angle, telling a story, developing a character or just building someone up. On the main roster, particularly on Raw, all the matches just seem to exist to fill time. You could skip the majority of them and still be able to follow the show regardless.

Ricochet flipping over the ropes was cool as fuck. Never been his biggest fan but that was marvellously done. Reckon they'll steal the show in Chicago.

1 hour ago, sj5522 said:

Reckon they'll steal the show in Chicago.

On a show with Ciampa vs. Gargano, if they do, it's going to be (another) fantastic show!

War Raiders definately suffer from Tensai syndrome, for now at least.

• Awards Moderator

I’ve decided I think War Raiders are rubbish. I just see them as a cut-price Ascension with strong hints of the Highlanders. Even their individual names are shit - Rowe is far too similar to Rowan and I don’t know how it even got through their workshopping process, and Hanson is better but aside from thinking ‘well he ain’t no Stan’, it’s not exactly a million miles from Harper.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I just see them as a cut-price Ascension

Fucking hell, I know they've not set the word alight yet but there's no need for this slander.

It was a fun episode, I actually skipped the War Raiders match, I've watched their initial stuff so far and not that interested yet. That guy Richochet beat had a couple of mad spots for a guy his size, and yep the flip out of the ring was ace. I love Bianca Belair. The piece on her life was maybe too long and detailed but at least we know who she is. Looking at the guys that have moved up to Raw, who is No Way Jose? Who are the Authors of Pain? We've no idea what they're really about, just shoved onto the show and forced to sink or swim.

• Paid Members

That Dream/Ricochet bit was superb. Surprised that they finally put Dijak on TV only for him to be the other guy in that match, though.

The pacing of the Gargano/Ciampa stuff was a bit weird. We had two separate announcements that there would be a rematch at Takeover, and then Gargano comes out with a contract to announce to the live audience that he'd signed it - would it not have been more impactful to air that part first? And it's a Street Fight match, okay, is that more or less significant than the last one being an "Unsanctioned" match? And in their last match, Gargano had already lost a match meaning he was gone from NXT, but if he lost that one he'd have been "banished"? What's the difference?