The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

My wife has mentioned a type of cake her Nana used to buy but neither of us have any idea what it is. Her description is “like an upside down cupcake but with coconut on the top”.

Any ideas?

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

My wife has mentioned a type of cake her Nana used to buy but neither of us have any idea what it is. Her description is “like an upside down cupcake but with coconut on the top”.

Any ideas?

Not a singular version of a coconut pound cake? Cooked upside down, skewered after cooking, coconut milk and then shavings on top that stick?

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Any ideas?

A snowball? Filled with raspberry jam?

EE0B21EE-2713-4F8D-8FAA-E9F471633E64.jpeg

• Paid Members

English Madeleines? They used to do a similar one in a local bakery chain that has long been closed. Was pretty much an upside down cupcake covered in Jam and coconut with little icing holly on the top. Was a Christmas thing, obviously. One of my favs.

Page 2- Final

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I did a lasagne a couple of weeks ago, and it wasn't bad. Mrs Jazzy really enjoyed it, so today while I was unsuoervised I took a bus up to the supermarket and got the bits to rustle one up, but also to make a chilli, and combined the two. 

IMG_20220103_193414.jpg

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Cooked my first curry using some of the batch of base gravy sauce I did the other day. Lads, absolute game changer. 

Just finished my last lot, will be making another batch on Saturday.  I do it in the Instant Pot.  A lot quicker, self contained and smells less.

49 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Welcome to the fold. I'd highly recommend Al's Kitchen on Youtube for great BIR curry recipes to use with your base gravy.

Nice one, yeah that name crops up all the time in the group I’m in. Will give some a watch. Absolutely loved this one and that was just with a tikka marinade on the chicken!

16 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

.  I do it in the Instant Pot.  A lot quicker, self contained and smells less.

Haven’t had my post curry dump but will bear this in mind, cheers. 

• Paid Members

I've spent what I can only describe as three solid days watching YouTube videos of cooking, Binging With Babish/Matty Matheson/Joshua Weissman and the likes and I'm so excited to have my own place again where I'm able to start cooking my own meals. Will be deep diving this thread for ideas next week for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Can anyone give me some advice about bay? I’ve used bay leaves for years out of habit, instilled in me by my mother. Three leaves or so added to a bolognese, always throw them into soups/stews. To this day I’ve no idea, really, what flavour they impart. Mrs raid uses them often in stews/goulash, usually more than me, and I’m still none the wiser. Furthermore due to our current arrangement re: herbs etc I frequently forget to add bay leaves to meals I usually would have… then never notice any difference, nor have I ever eaten any meal and thought “I wish I’d put some bay leaves in here.”

Can anyone share with me what meals they make where bay leaves are essential, how many they use and at what stage of cooking? I feel sad every time I use the little blighters because it feels so pointless. Where am I going wrong?

p.s. Unpopular opinion time - the absolute finest toastie you could ever make is still never worth the effort of cleaning your Breville.

• Paid Members

Pop a bay leaf into a cup and pour on a little bit of hot water and let it hydrate then try the water. It'll give you an exaggerated version of what taste you'll get. It's an almost minty / bitter taste but is never super strong.