The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Glad to see I'm not the only one with a cupboard full of GU ramekins. We use ours for dipping sauces or sides.

We got a Foodi Ninja the other month and yesterday I did some chinese salt and chilli chicken drumsticks in it. Really bloody good.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Put Pringles lids on them, as apparently they fit perfectly.

The kid finished a tube earlier (BBQ pulled pork flavour) so I tried it. It does fit nicely as an alternative to cling film but falls off if you move them so no good for transporting stuff.

I'll report this post myself for being tedious.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, chokeout said:

May be a meme of 3 people and text that says 'Ross Sayers @Sayers33 When I finish my Gü cheesecake After all... why not? Why .ysn'keepi? shouldn't keep'

I've gone BBQ mad over the last month. Did a black garlic marinated Beer Can Chicken which may well be the nicest chicken i've ever had. I really want to try Ribs next @Thunderplex How long did you cook yours for? What are you using for rub?

All depends on the type of ribs you get.  I get the baby backs from Costco, and do them for 2 hours at 250°f, then wrap them in foil with a squirt of apple juice, a little honey and a sprinkle more rub for 2 hours, then 1/2 to an hour unfoiled with sauce on half of them (some like sauce, some don’t, i like both!) if you get thicker ribs then the first part of the cook do 3 hours instead of 2 and a full hour at the end.  The rub I use is a mix of a few recipes, using my favourite bits of each.  I use these in parts:

4 salt

4 brown sugar

4 paprika

3 garlic granules

2 onion powder

1 black pepper

2 mild chilli powder

1 allspice

1.5 cumin

1 fennel

1 celery salt

.25 Rosemary

I’d use tablespoons till you get the taste you want, I use half cups now as I use it a lot.

Increase the black pepper, and use hot chilli powder if you like it spicy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Another birthday in our house. She wanted a #7 or a Biscoff cake so I combined them. It's a "biscoff" base, brown sugar sponge, buttercream with "biscoff" spread and then more "biscoff" and spread to decorate along with those milkybar cookies and cream drops.

Couldn't actually get either biscoff or the spread so it's Home Bargains "Caramelised biscuits" and Aldi's version of the spread bit no one has noticed. Also my phone wants to correct it to Bischoff. 

CollageMaker_2021622105850256.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone dabbled with the meal kit subscription services? My lady got some free Hello Fresh weeks and I’m really impressed with the overall quality. She isn’t the most confident of cooks whilst I’ll have a crack at most things but she made one of their aubergine curry’s that was quite easily one of the nicest curry’s I’ve ever had and it didn’t even have meat in it. We won’t carry on with the subscription because it’s not very convenient when we have the kids to feed as well but for childless barren happy people with a disposable income it’s a great service. 

If nothing else it’s motivated me to start cooking properly a bit more again.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Anyone dabbled with the meal kit subscription services? My lady got some free Hello Fresh weeks and I’m really impressed with the overall quality. She isn’t the most confident of cooks whilst I’ll have a crack at most things but she made one of their aubergine curry’s that was quite easily one of the nicest curry’s I’ve ever had and it didn’t even have meat in it. We won’t carry on with the subscription because it’s not very convenient when we have the kids to feed as well but for childless barren happy people with a disposable income it’s a great service. 

If nothing else it’s motivated me to start cooking properly a bit more again.

I did Hello Fresh for a bit, mainly to try and get out of the rut of cooking (aka someone else made decisions and limited my choice) - it was really good, but ended up being quite expensive when you didn't have a voucher. It was at least easy to use.

Did Gousto for a week, but the choices weren't thrilling enough to continue it.