The cookery thread

6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I've recently been on a bit of a "change it up" vibe with my own cooking. My dad and aunt taught me all the Mauritian recipes I know, especially curry, so I've started adding things that Mauritians wouldn't normally add, like coconut milk or holy basil or kaffir lime leaves. 

I think it's always good to mix things up a little where you can. I've stumbled on some great dishes this way, much to my mums annoyance usually as she is a stickler for how her mum taught her!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shanghai chicken tenders with 5 spice batter. 

Wife's 40th Birthday so I made her a "sweet shop" cake. Two layers of choc sponge with Strawberry cream in the middle and decorated as per pic. Quite pleased with it.

Tried a couple of new things over the weekend. Tried "Sloppy Joes". Basically a bolognese sandwich but was bloody lovely. Did spicy wedges and served it on quality Aldi Brioche with Jack. Fo

Posted Images

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Thunderplex said:

This chat about Mauritian food has been an absolute delight.  Thanks chaps.

48 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Thanks @CarbombI feel like I've learnt so much from your post. I'll make note of the resteraunt to try out too.

All good, guys. Happy to share, that's what we all do on here.

46 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I think it's always good to mix things up a little where you can. I've stumbled on some great dishes this way, much to my mums annoyance usually as she is a stickler for how her mum taught her!

Yep! Both my parents are good cooks, my mum in particular as her range is wider and she knows a lot more different techniques and tricks. She always told me that recipes are just to get you started, and that you never just stick to them.