The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

In the YouTube Recipes thread I mentioned the George Egg Snack Hacker videos that he's been doing. Tonight we made his Naan Pizza and it was amazing. Could of done with either a bit longer or a hotter oven but I was hungry and it was fine in the end. So simple to make, so tasty. Highly recommend!

FX6afUq.jpg

Here's the recipe if anyone wants to give it a go.

• Paid Members

Got bored last night and basted a steak in BBQ sauce and Carolina reaper hot sauce, grilled the thing and then chucked a home made chilli sauce infused with garlic spring onion and cooked down with white wine vinegar, veg stock, water, sugar, coriander, flour and salt and pepper.

Honestly one of the best things I've ever eaten and cooked. Actual bliss.

Went to take a picture, had already eaten half the steak.

54 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Got bored last night and basted a steak in BBQ sauce and Carolina reaper hot sauce, grilled the thing and then chucked a home made chilli sauce infused with garlic spring onion and cooked down with white wine vinegar, veg stock, water, sugar, coriander, flour and salt and pepper.

Honestly one of the best things I've ever eaten and cooked. Actual bliss.

Went to take a picture, had already eaten half the steak.

Fucking hell. Look forward to the follow up post in the shitting thread.

• Paid Members

My plate work still needs so much training (someone help!)

But crushed peas with garlic, butter and mint with a butter poached mashed swede, pan seared pork loin steak and a white wine vinegar, red cabbage and onion concoction.

Tastes amazing, and I've bulk cooked it for the next two days.

PXL_20210217_180116825.jpg

• Paid Members

So having seen Rick Stein's Secret France this week I decided to have a crack at his confit tomato and confit aubergine tarte tatin. 

Tomatoes were cooked in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic. Seasoned with salt, pepper and thyme. 

Aubergines were soaked in salt and water for 1/2 an hour, then dried and cook in olive oil, garlic, and chilli flakes, seasoned with salt and pepper. Both were cooked at 100c for about 2 and a 1/2 hours

So first I layered the tomato face down, then the aubergine on top, seasoned with more salt and pepper with herbes de Provence 

Then the pastry, didnt make that myself, then baked in the oven for just over half an hour. Luckily it turned out ok. 

Tasted tremendous. The tomato was the most tomatoey thing I've ever eaten and with the hint of chilli and the herbs it was lovely. 

20210220_153533.jpg

20210220_153759.jpg

20210220_191916.jpg

20210220_192703.jpg

• Paid Members

Maybe not the right place as the post is not about cooking concoctions I have made, but is anybody here a fan of Anthony Bourdain? Been absolutely obsessed by the chap for a while now, binging Parts Unknown on Netflix and have even bought/devoured a few of his books. What a wonderful human being and it's so sad to know that that's him away now. Annoyed at myself for not knowing who he was until he'd already left us. 

"I don't have to agree with you to like or respect you"  has become one of my favourite quotes too. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

"I don't have to agree with you to like or respect you"

I wish more people thought like this. It would help a bunch in this binary argument world. 

Bourdain has been deified since his death. Although respected I don't think he was properly appreciated until his work was looked on in retrospect. I read his Kitchen Confidential about 20 years ago and it was fascinating. It's expensive now but try it if you can find a copy. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Annoyingly for me, two of them burnt a little as I was busy watching the horses.

I had some turkey steaks that have been bland as anything, so I minced them down, added some cayenne, paprika and a splash of hot sauce to a standard beer batter and deep fried them.

Honestly not bad considering it was just something to do while I was off work today.

IMG_20210317_174239_518.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Lit the old ProQ up yesterday and did short ribs for the first time.  Started them off at 9.00am and they took 11 1/2 hours.  Just a salt, pepper and garlic granules rub, smoked over applewood.  Juicy as hell inside, crusty as hell outside.  Well worth the wait.

FEDD49EB-A148-4478-802E-E65A0B42DF8B.jpeg

C21BAB12-1B56-46C7-B2AE-092FECE73E64.jpeg