The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, deathrey said:

Can I ask your recipie please @tiger_rick?

Just a classic cookie recipe. Probably came from the BBC site originally. The key is to cook from very cold so it doesn't just "melt".

150g soft butter, 80g light brown sugar and 80g granulated sugar, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 large egg, 225g plain flour, ½ tsp bicab, ¼ tsp salt and 200g l choc chips.

Cream the butter and sugar, add the other wet stuff, then all the dry stuff, then the chocolate chips.

If you want to freeze, I either make balls and freeze them in a plastic Chinese takeaway tub or form a big log and just take slices off it as needed.

Thank you @tiger_rickI have some great cookie recipies but never manage to get them chewy. I have never tried it with the dough cold so will give this a go. Plus I really like the idea of having it prepared in the fridge/freezer ready to go when you fancy it as time is of the premium at the moment and I'm not getting much opportunity to cook or bake.

• Paid Members

Used my air fryer, some leftovers and frozen veg to make something that looks atrocious but tastes great. Rolled leftover sweet potato mash, frozen small veg (carrot, peas, sweetcorn, beans) and a handful of cheese into sausage shapes and baked it. Added some onions from the freezer and served in hot dog rolls.

Bit of a bubble and squeak vibe. Aside from the cheese, there was cream and butter in the original mash but it'd be very easy to make vegan. 

20210121_183603_copy_756x567.jpg

20210121_184731_copy_756x1008.jpg

• Paid Members

Has anyone made their own pasta before?

I'm looking at doing Lasagne from scratch next week and really wanna try home made pasta sheets (working from home is making me need to do anything) and just wondered how people have done making Pasta?

Ideally I want to free roll, but I'm not against buying a pasta machine if needs be.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've got a pasta machine. Made a simple egg pasta with 00 flour. It's not that difficult, I find the hardest part trying to stop it sticking together. Even after flouring it, mine still sticks together so I have to work really quickly. Looks easy when Jamie Oliver does it.

• Awards Moderator
17 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I find the hardest part trying to stop it sticking together. 

Polenta or semolina is what you need. And cover anything you've just made with a lightly damp tea towel while you work on the rest.

The best tip I ever saw is rather than work on a long sheet is to join the rectangle of dough at the ends so you are working with a 'loop' of pasta. It just continually gets fed back into the machine rather than picking it back up and feeding it back manually.

@Shy Dad a machine is utterly not necessary but they are tremendous fun and quite cheap, providing you've got a long enough run of worktop / table to work on. I clamp mine to my dining table to get the space to work. Don't spend any more than about £15 on it. Check your local discount shops / TK Maxx.

Edited by Onyx2

• Moderators

I don't have any problems with sticking anymore and I think the key is understanding that there really is no such thing as too much dusting with flour. I was really underestimating how much to use and how often to re-flour. (Semolina on the counter where I'm readying the stuff that's already done is a winner to).

@Shy Dad I like the machine for very quickly and easily getting a nice evenly thin dough. It's the hardest part of pasta making for me by far.

I never use the cutting attachments though as folding and knife cutting and getting to do that bit where the pasta noodles cascade off the knife is by far the most satisfying thing about making your own pasta. none of this last part is really relevant for lasagne though, of course.

This is the best dough recipe I could recommend for a first timer, because it's so precise you won't have to guess at the end if your dough has the right texture. You don't need the food processor - I do it all by hand

(Bonus if you don't know what I'm talking about when I talk about the satisfying knife drop, skip to around 17:50 in that video to see an admittedly not great example. But it's great when you do it irl, trust me)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

*Bernie Sanders voice* I am once again asking for your tofu suggestions.

Apart from scrambling it or baking it (both I do quite regularly with wildly varying success), is there anything interesting I can do with tofu? Doesn't need to necessarily be a vegan/veggie recipe. 

Deep fried / Salt and pepper tofu is pretty easy to do and is delicious.