The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Bit of Halloween baking for the kids. Did these Apple Crumble cakes. Recipe was for a 7" cake but I did them as individual ones for portion control!

image.png.a061aacf3bca841b09c58853d4c24f07.png

Made these little "Graveyard" cupcakes. I made the chocolate cakes, "headstone" biscuits and buttercream and then used crushed oreos for the "dirt". If I'd had any fondant icing, I'd have made one with The Undertaker's arm sticking out!

image.png.b08ec5808e06907655c0c79b022060ce.png

Also carved a pumpkin for the first time. I'm normally only called upon to cut the hole out of the top but I was off work so did a whole one. We did the Pumpkin picking thing this year. What a fucking swizz that was. About a million quid for two pumpkins, both half knackered from being dumped in the mud because all the good ones were gone. Still, "it's for the kids, stop being so miserable".

image.png.493e7230db628d1f115a6b3249ca4e5b.png

• Paid Members

Two sets of plans for my girlfriends birthday fell through because of lockdown so I just told her to pick what she wanted to eat and I'd cook it so I give you homemade bao buns, bbq chicken, homemade prawn toast, dumplings and spring rolls, brocoli in sesame and chilli and fried rice... Oh and a bunch of Dippy sauces. 

IMG_20201108_175445.jpg

IMG_20201108_175449.jpg

IMG_20201108_175452.jpg

• Paid Members
On 11/1/2020 at 8:00 AM, tiger_rick said:

About a million quid for two pumpkins, both half knackered from being dumped in the mud because all the good ones were gone. Still, "it's for the kids, stop being so miserable".

I planted some and as a result had about 10 to use, so most has gone in the freeze for soup over winter.

However I made a cake with part of one, standard sponge with pureed pumpkin added. It's the consistency of a carrot cake but with that nice pumpkin flavour. The best part is the filling which was whipped cream folded into a mascapone and pumpkin mix. I made too much so it's also going on the side of the pumpkin pie. It's much nicer than I expected. 

41 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

• Paid Members

Not long been into Lovage - what a great flavour! Any of you use it to good effect or have any tips?

On 9/22/2020 at 4:40 PM, tiger_rick said:

Not baked for a while. Did these today. Biscoff filled NY style cookies. Have choc chips and Biscoff crumbs in the dough and Biscoff spread in the middle.

image.thumb.png.42c793217187f9a5d613ce9b70228a30.png

Recipe and method would be appreciated. Recently been making lots with the Subway triple chocolate recipe shared during lockdown with a combination of Milky Bar, Dark Milk and Yorkie chunks.

• Paid Members

That, was bloody lovely.

Made a thiiiick soup much like I occasionally do, with butternut squash and sweet potato being the two main veg. Lots of crushed garlic and some red onion, seasoning, standard stuff but tasty stuff. This time I added a bit of pumpkin. Now I’ll be honest, I’m not keen on pumpkin soup when it’s the overriding ingredient, had it last week, it’s just a touch on the bitter side for me, and doesn’t have the sweet kick that Squash has, but when in the mixer with squash & potato, it balances out really nicely.

I didn’t stop there though, I decided to make a thai red chilli style paste, as we’re going to make a curry on Wednesday. I like to make the paste and let it settle in the fridge for a couple of days, because I’ve convinced myself it tastes better, when it’s likely just habit.

Anyway, I mixed a bit of the paste in with the thick, squash/potato/pumpkin soup and my word, that was bloody lovely. 
Crap photo, but I didn’t plan to post about it, and now it’s gone, so hopefully this photo will at least demonstrate how good it was.

2AEB7C5F-78F0-4B02-80DF-0D7D398A4E83.jpeg

• Paid Members

Cheers man. It was my first attempt and I am well happy with the results, especially considering how easy it was to do.

If anyone hasn't done them:

Boiled the eggs for 7 minutes, then transferred straight into cold water. 

Flattened sausage meat in cling film.

Shelled the eggs, then rolled them in the flattened sausage meat (using the cling film to help roll). Make sure the meat is fully surrounding the egg. 

Roll in flour, then dip in beaten egg, then breadcrumbs before frying for about 4 minutes.

Take out of oil and rest for 5 minutes. 

Enjoy!

Disaster! I put a stew in the slow cooker last night about 6 and I've just had a taste age it tastes like salt soup! I didn't actually put any salt in so just be in the stock cubes I foolishly put in, do any UKFF supercooks have a solution? I've Asked Jeeves and got vague talk of lemon juice, sugar or just watering it down but surely the UKFF know better? Normally I don't take the lid off but it's been in twelve hours and will be in for six more so sorry there's time to fix it?

• Paid Members

Had fun in the kitchen yesterday. Top image is a home-pickled cabbage, crab meat and satay dressing, the aubergine in the top right corner is baked then glazed with honey, served with yoghurt, pomegranate seeds and za’atar oil. Did a buratta too, with quick-pickled shallots, tomatoes and a fennel seed, oregano and basil dressing. Main course was pan-friend duck breast on celeriac purée with caramelised chicory, fondant potatoes and a port and red currant sauce.

Could’ve done with rendering the fat on the duck for another 5 minutes and I slightly over reduced the sauce but I’m happy with it.

Not pictured is the orange and cardamom creme brûlée, tasted alright but had a weeeeird af consistency. Too much sugar and over baked, I think. 

E1C2CC0F-776E-47E4-AD68-4996B23CB2DE.thumb.jpeg.4d49fd86451b8d1fa63a9b0bbe973b38.jpeg

Edited by stumobir