The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

Made a base gravy for making curry house-style curries today. Then made a paneer bhuna using it and it was easily the best curry I've ever made. Tasted just like one you'd get at a restaurant. If you like making a home made curry, it's definitely worth it. Takes a couple of hours to make, but you'll get loads of curries out of it and you can freeze it.

F7pMq0N.jpg

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Made a base gravy for making curry house-style curries today. Then made a paneer bhuna using it and it was easily the best curry I've ever made. Tasted just like one you'd get at a restaurant. If you like making a home made curry, it's definitely worth it. Takes a couple of hours to make, but you'll get loads of curries out of it and you can freeze it.

F7pMq0N.jpg

That looks superb, what recipe did you use?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Every year we grow tomatoes in the garden, and they normally do really well. However, this year, the weather was a bit challenging for them, so we've had a lot of fruit, but they haven't all ripened as we'd hoped. We've stuck some with bananas to ripen them, but there are still a load.

Cue my looking up various recipes online for something I've always been intrigued by, fried green tomatoes. So, over the past couple of weekends, our kitchen's become the Whistle Stop Café. The majority of recipes I found said you had to salt them and dry them out on a rack over kitchen roll for about half an hour, then pat off the rest of the water that hadn't left them yet. This is followed by a threefold process of coating them in seasoned flour, then egg and milk, then some mixture of cornmeal and/or breadcrumbs - I stuck with cornmeal, as I'd never tried it before.

They turned out really tasty, but were a bit of a faff, and I found one more recipe by this Southern lady, who just dunks all the tomato slices in hot sauce, then rolls them around in cornmeal. I didn't quite hold my nerve - despite her assertions that it wasn't necessary in the YouTube video, I wasn't confident enough to not salt them, so I did, then dunked them all in hot peri-peri sauce, let them marinade for a while, then rolled them in cornmeal seasoned with Dunn's River All-Purpose Seasoning.

Both occasions, I followed the advice of Chef John from Food Wishes, and shallow-fried them in about a half-centimetre depth of oil, on low/moderate heat, to make sure they cooked all the way through. 

First time around was good, second time around with the peri-peri recipe, they were very well received! Had family round for a barbeque last weekend, and they scoffed them pretty quickly. Very pleased, and we've still got loads of green tomatoes left, so will probably make more.

(The third picture, I left the tray empty to make seasoned potato fritters in the same way, as my sister doesn't like whole pieces of tomato. Said potato fritters also went down very well.)

IMG_20200912_120719.jpg

IMG_20200912_144420.jpg

IMG_20200912_164028.jpg

IMG_20200912_180418.jpg

• Paid Members

@Carbomb 

I've made some green tomato ketchup with early fallers this year and it's a breeze if you still have some spare. Just soften them in some vinegar, blend it and reduce to thickness at it's most simple.

Mine in the greenhouse are ripening ok but those outside will be mixed, some ripe but plenty of green as the frost approaches I fear, so I'm tempted to give them ago having seen yours.

I've also stewed down some apple fallings in dry real cider from my local and it's much better for meat than standard water & sugar for a sweat. I've caramelized some slices and done them in a puff pastry as a quick desert too. I'd recommend it.

And to close king Coconut was right, I've been buried in courgette. Lots of pasta dishes, one stuffed and plenty frozen. However I've pickled some, one lot shredded in brine, one sliced in white vinegar and one sliced in malt vinegar. The brine isn't to my taste but the other two are super. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m having roast DRAPS chicken breast tonight and thought of you, @Carbomb, love that stuff!

That's genuinely one of my proudest moments on here, getting someone into DRAPS. It's soooo good.

3 hours ago, Tommy! said:

@Carbomb 

I've made some green tomato ketchup with early fallers this year and it's a breeze if you still have some spare. Just soften them in some vinegar, blend it and reduce to thickness at it's most simple.

Mine in the greenhouse are ripening ok but those outside will be mixed, some ripe but plenty of green as the frost approaches I fear, so I'm tempted to give them ago having seen yours.

Ooh, green ketchup! Yeh, I might give that a go, we've got so many left.

3 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I've also stewed down some apple fallings in dry real cider from my local and it's much better for meat than standard water & sugar for a sweat. I've caramelized some slices and done them in a puff pastry as a quick desert too. I'd recommend it.

And to close king Coconut was right, I've been buried in courgette. Lots of pasta dishes, one stuffed and plenty frozen. However I've pickled some, one lot shredded in brine, one sliced in white vinegar and one sliced in malt vinegar. The brine isn't to my taste but the other two are super. 

We've got a couple of apple trees, but they're Discovery, Russet, and Cox' Pippins - eaters, rather than cookers. Next door has a cooking apple tree, and they kindly gave us some, which we made into Mauritian-style apple pickle (not far off Indian-style), using a masala of mustard seed, turmeric, garlic, chilli, and a few other bits and bobs I forget.

1 hour ago, deathrey said:

If anyone has green tomatoes that they need to use up, my mum makes a delicious green tomato curry (and I'm not usually a massive fan of tomatoes on the whole). The recipie is very similar to this one

https://www.zeelskitchen.com/recipe/green-tomato-sabji-hare-tamatar-ki-sabji/

Now I am here for this. Thank you! Will definitely try this out.

Forgot to post these a while ago, but was just backing up my phone. I'm still baking bread, but have been gradually getting used to making rolls as well, using varying mixes of white, wholemeal, or gram flour. I've found a 50/50 balance of white and wholemeal, with a couple ounces of gram and a handful of poppyseeds thrown in, makes for a nice roll for toasting with butter.

IMG_20200628_211923.jpg

IMG_20200628_211934.jpg

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Dunn's River All-Purpose Seasoning. I swear by this stuff, it makes everything taste great.

Brilliant stuff.  It's my usual seasoning for most meats and vegetables.