The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Made a lemon drizzle cake today, my scales broke and I didn’t want to leave the house to get batteries or a new set so I tried doing it by ratio. I’m happy enough with the results, just a bit lighter than the last time so I guess I put in too little flour. 

E729379E-4204-46A3-B8F9-2B22CAB14C44.jpeg

73CDA810-24BD-47F3-8A9B-AE9811E93804.jpeg

4E2D0C33-EECC-4D97-B029-1864D5ACC74A.jpeg

• Awards Moderator

I hate to admit it but when you don't have scales and you need to bake is the one time American cup measurements work. You did great @stumobir!

On an unrelated note: most people know that I've done some cooking in my time. If you're down to the dregs of your cupboard, or want to use your free time to try cooking something new, or cook properly for the first time, and you'd like some advice or inspiration, please feel free to ask in this thread or PM me. I have the week off work, the doctor is in! 

10 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I hate to admit it but when you don't have scales and you need to bake is the one time American cup measurements work. You did great @stumobir!

On an unrelated note: most people know that I've done some cooking in my time. If you're down to the dregs of your cupboard, or want to use your free time to try cooking something new, or cook properly for the first time, and you'd like some advice or inspiration, please feel free to ask in this thread or PM me. I have the week off work, the doctor is in! 

UKFF does Ready, Steady, Cook. 

• Paid Members

In an effort to use the leftover white/sweet Potato's I boiled and mashed them up, added some cheese and butter. Then mixed a tin of corned beef, tin of baked beans and a large helping of brown sauce. Then layered it in oven dishes with the mash on top. 

Pretty much a corned beef hash yes, but a first for me. Tastes pretty good too. 

20200405_190542.jpg

1 minute ago, Silky Kisser said:

In an effort to use the leftover white/sweet Potato's I boiled and mashed them up, added some cheese and butter. Then mixed a tin of corned beef, tin of baked beans and a large helping of brown sauce. Then layered it in oven dishes with the mash on top. 

Pretty much a corned beef hash yes, but a first for me. Tastes pretty good too. 

20200405_190542.jpg

Looks lovely but please alphabetise your spices. Cheers (an oddball)

• Awards Moderator
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

@Onyx2 Chick Peas, Chopped Tomatoes, Coconut Milk, Red Kidney Beans, Red Onions, Tofu, some spices.

Hit me with it! (Bit fed up with scrambled Tofu if you're going to mention that)

You've got ingredients from two continents here which I would split down the middle. Here's two recipes with similar techniques that get the most out of limited ingredients. 

Crispy tofu with coconut broth: get a frying pan on, pretty hot. Quarter one red onion, cut off the root and then pull it apart into onion pieces. Fry this in the dry pan until the edges start to blacken - don't move the bits round much. Once a bit charred put to one side. 

Tip 1cm of oil into the pan and get it fairly hot. Drop in cubes of tofu and fry until crispy on all sides then remove to drain on kitchen paper. Drain off most of the oil (you can reuse this) and put the heat on low. 

If you have a food processor blitz an onion with a couple of garlic cloves, five spice powder or similar spices (clove, cinnamon, fennel seed) with salt to a paste. If you don't have a processor just dice the onion as fine as you can, running the knife back through the bits as much as you can. Put this paste into the pan and fry gently for about ten minutes until fragrant as fuck. Add the coconut milk and bring up to a high simmer. Season to taste and add the tofu and onion. Serve with flat noodles. 

Crispy chickpeas with bean chilli

Get the oven on 200c. Drain the chickpeas (I assume tinned?) and put in a single layer on a baking tray. Roast for 30 minutes, shaking occasionally, to get crispy. When cooked toss in salt and spices (eg. paprika, cumin, coriander). You can eat them like this or serve them as a garnish for the chilli. 

For the chilli, either dice an onion or blitz as above with cumin, coriander, chilli, garlic. Fry gently in a little oil until coloured and fragrant. If you have some tomato puree add this now and fry it for a minute. Add the tomatoes, and some stock powder (an Oxo cube or similar. If you're vegetarian, get a tub of Marigold boullioun. It's great). Simmer for five minutes, then add the drained kidney beans and cook until they are tender. Season to taste and serve with rice or pitta (and creme fraiche if your corner shop has some). 

2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I sort my spices by category and colour rather than alphabetically.🤷🏽 I know where everything is...

That's fair enough. I just wouldn't be able to find mine if mine weren't alphabetically, but then I only ever have about 6 or 7 at once so...

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Double posted like a tit and can't remove the quote. 

Edited by Silky Kisser
I'm a tit

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Like Chest, they're arranged in colour order. Brown to red to beige to green. 

Alphabetical order would just be fucking coloured chaos. You heathen.