The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator

Bacon, another thing: save the chickpea liquid. It can be whipped into a goo called aquafaba which can be used as a substitute for egg white. Get your kids to take it turns to whisk it into a meringue. (google aquafaba recipes, the vegans are all over it.) 

2 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Bacon, another thing: save the chickpea liquid. It can be whipped into a goo called aquafaba which can be used as a substitute for egg white. Get your kids to take it turns to whisk it into a meringue. (google aquafaba recipes, the vegans are all over it.) 

Can use it for vegan pancakes as well I think?

• Paid Members

I won't show my spices; they're a fucking mess. 

Still, made a paneer/potato/chickpea curry from the Dishoom cookbook, home-made onion bhaji, home-made daal, home-made naan and then pilau rice. V. nice:

5a4hAWz.jpg?1

Edited by Nexus

• Paid Members

Few things I've done recently. Made a batch of kimchi and knocked this up for lunch: kimchi fried rice, an egg, loads of sriracha.

IMG_20200407_143403.thumb.jpg.2aba780148039b42bc8427108f121e55.jpg

Obviously every bastard under the sun is a home baker now but I've genuinely been at it for years. Here's my latest standard white loaf:

1722815919_IMG_20200402_0900282.thumb.jpg.d7f4065533255e01ab665ff95b22293e.jpg

IMG_20200402_095610.thumb.jpg.ef036aa2202140dcc06727ca4f450140.jpg

Edited by Chunk

• Awards Moderator

Now there's a man with his own banneton! Top crumb @Chunk.

I baked a loaf this week with only plain flour instead of strong. I couldn't tell any difference at all! I've been duped all these years. 

• Paid Members

I haven't been able to get hold of strong flour for my breadmaking in recent weeks, as flour in general is just one of the products that's regularly cleared off the shelves these days. I recently discovered we have a big jar of oatbran - would that be worth trying, mixing it with plain flour?

• Awards Moderator
10 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I haven't been able to get hold of strong flour for my breadmaking in recent weeks, as flour in general is just one of the products that's regularly cleared off the shelves these days. I recently discovered we have a big jar of oatbran - would that be worth trying, mixing it with plain flour?

Yeah as long as you have some raising agent. Either yeast, bicarb + culture (don't rest it) or bake as unleavened flatbread. 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Yeah as long as you have some raising agent. Either yeast, bicarb + culture (don't rest it) or bake as unleavened flatbread. 

What sort of culture? Yoghurt?