The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Originally planned to have lamb and orzo for dinner, but realised we didn't have any orzo. As a result, it was decided to make a kind of souvlaki - which necessitated home-made pitta bread:

Fs4wRPm.jpg

Then made home-made Tzatziki to go with it, had corn on the cob, salad, fruit rice and roasted peppers/onions; it was really good! 

GKLgfD3.jpg

• Paid Members
On 4/11/2020 at 11:32 AM, mim731 said:

@Chunk those look stunning, have you get a recipe?

They're from Binging with Babish: 

My tip would be to not skip the brown butter step and to make sure you take the butter all the way to the point of brown - it's tempting to take it off the heat too early. Brown butter completely changes the flavour.

Smash burgers this evening:

IMG_20200412_204538.thumb.jpg.73c8104ad02800dd929cb2c0fb401efb.jpg

And biryani last night:

IMG_20200411_162720.thumb.jpg.48c2187aae49e9fe61d2305903252f2c.jpg

Edited by Chunk

• Awards Moderator

If you want to understand how to make soft vs crunchy cookies, this article is the business. Proper nerdy stuff (I've made the resulting cookie recipe and it's fantastic) :

https://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-the-best-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

Edited by Onyx2

• Moderators

I put some mushrooms on skewers with garlic butter all over them and put a pan of chopped courgettes and chorizo on as well, so all that red juice is the oil from the chorizo that the courgette cooked in. I also had sliced onions with the chorizo too.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Been doing a fair bit of cooking over the past few weeks, to quell the boredom if nothing else. Gave the recipe @Chunk provided a go (adapted slightly), came out really well and made for some lovely soft chewy cookies. Thanks!

zK7npaB.jpg

wRGbuo9.jpg

Been messing about with bread a bit too. Did a vegan soda bread (for experimental purposes). Bit dense, made it with oat milk, but very tasty.

yNmspd1.jpg

IIFVrqA.jpg

I also did the big old lockdown cliche and made some sourdough. It wasn't quite what I intended, but still happy it came out edible and very enjoyable, lessons learned for future bakes though.

XU5bGsE.jpg

Tries Harissa Shaksuka on the weekend, which was dead simple but very filling and reasonably healthy too. Would reccomend.

4nQ13Hi.jpg

Had a go at a red miso ramen, which I've been meaning to give a go for a while. Took a bit of messing about to get the eggs right, but happy with the results. Too many fresh chilis on top though, went a bit overboard.

VZ49DnU.jpg

Finally, we did our favourite treat breakfast over the weekend with chilaquiles which are tortillas cut up and fried and then cooked a second time in tomatillo salsa. I'm not sure this is the most authentic recipe necessarily, but with a poached egg and some feta it was bloody marvellous even if it doesn't look that appetising in this (pretty poor) picture.  

ATYdwwQ.jpg

Sorry for the big photo dump, this has been about two weeks worth, keep forgetting to upload them on the rare occasion when I actually cook vaguely interesting things. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, mim731 said:

Finally, we did our favourite treat breakfast over the weekend with chilaquiles which are tortillas cut up and fried and then cooked a second time in tomatillo salsa. I'm not sure this is the most authentic recipe necessarily, but with a poached egg and some feta it was bloody marvellous even if it doesn't look that appetising in this (pretty poor) picture.

Nice! Sounds like perfect hangover food.