The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

So I decided to start eating healthier breakfasts (would like to be in better shape, plus whilst I've shown no sign of it there's a history of heart disease in my family, so figured I should try and put things my way if I can). I found this recipe on BBC Good Food for Green Eggs: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/green-eggs

I didn't have all the ingredients (am out of coriander seed and fennel seed), plus I didn't fancy having chilli first thing in the morning and forgot to squeeze some lemon in, but I used garlic, onion powder, salt & pepper, herbes de Provence, and it turned out pretty well:

906825217_greeneggs.thumb.jpeg.db0034de9957973cd305c7c4609f852d.jpeg

When I'd softened up all the spinach and leeks, I pushed them to the side of the pan like it said - but I realised they were releasing a lot of liquor, so I tilted the pan and pressed the veg with the fish slice to try and get more out to cover the empty side of the pan (I recently found out that the coating of flavour you get from cooking ingredients that you de-glaze to make sauces with is called a fond). Once I'd got some of that liquid there, I broke the eggs in it, and it gave them a nice bit of flavour.

One thing I think I'll definitely change up, though, is next time I'll definitely put chilli flakes in, or lemon, or both - the leeks were nice, but a bit on the sweet side, so I think I'd like something to balance them out.

Also, think I might add turkey ham next time, just so I can say I've actually eaten Green Eggs & Ham.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Just so it’s not all successes, here’s my attempt at a ‘blooming onion’. I was completely unaware of it until I went down a youtube air fryer recipe black hole. I won’t be attempting it again, it was a right faff & even though some of the outer ‘petals’ were nice I can’t ever see it being worth the effort.

bo.thumb.jpg.8ac1a1d2aeab64180c63fd9c7b5b69a4.jpg

• Moderators

I remember they used to do these at the Texas Embassy Cantina which was a tex mex restaurant we went to for family meals a couple times as a kid. I thought they were amazing back them but haven't had one since, so now you've reminded me they exist I'm going to have to have a go. Fingers crossed it goes better. What went wrong? Any tips? Hopefully I can learn from your mistakes..

• Awards Moderator
44 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Just so it’s not all successes, here’s my attempt at a ‘blooming onion’. I was completely unaware of it until I went down a youtube air fryer recipe black hole. I won’t be attempting it again, it was a right faff & even though some of the outer ‘petals’ were nice I can’t ever see it being worth the effort.

bo.thumb.jpg.8ac1a1d2aeab64180c63fd9c7b5b69a4.jpg

Ha, I tried one last weekend too. (thought deep fried, not air fried).

The taste was excellent, but the top had glued itself over with gloopy batter and stopped the core onion from cooking at all. Looked like an abomination but had the start of being decent. I'll try it again this weekend. The best bit was finding onions the size of a motherfucking football at my butcher's.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I remember they used to do these at the Texas Embassy Cantina which was a tex mex restaurant we went to for family meals a couple times as a kid. I thought they were amazing back them but haven't had one since, so now you've reminded me they exist I'm going to have to have a go. Fingers crossed it goes better. What went wrong? Any tips? Hopefully I can learn from your mistakes..

My family took me there for my birthday once. That really takes me back, haven't thought about that place in years, there was a signed George W Bush pic on the wall. I also had that onion.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

What went wrong? Any tips? Hopefully I can learn from your mistakes..

I sliced the onion too deeply on the first attempt so when I had to separate the onion it just fell apart. On the one above I cut the petals a bit thicker but it was still really fragile.

I put it in a bowl and poured the egg wash over but it still didn't get in between every layer. Same with the flour which I sieved over at first then dusted in a bag for the 2nd coat. Again, some parts were OK but in the middle and in between it was uncooked and uneven.

The effort/reward ratio doesn't stack up for me but I'd absolutely order it in a restaurant. Let some other fool spend 20 minutes separating onion layers.