The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

They look better than shop ones, seriously. My issue with custard creams is that they can be a bit dry in the biscuit bit, but those look <roadman> bare moist</roadman>.

EDIT: Actually, @tiger_rick, how did you make the filling? Did you mix custard powder with icing/buttercream?

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
On 11/29/2019 at 5:21 PM, Carbomb said:

They look better than shop ones, seriously. My issue with custard creams is that they can be a bit dry in the biscuit bit, but those look <roadman> bare moist</roadman>.

EDIT: Actually, @tiger_rick, how did you make the filling? Did you mix custard powder with icing/buttercream?

Custard powder in the biscuits and the buttercream. They were good if not ever so slightly too thick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Probably need another thread given I rarely actually cook anything but a couple from me this week.

My daughter got this little Freddo cookie cutter and wanted to use it so we knocked up some chocolate shortbread:

image.png.a47aac62b2121997ce96648cfd0a1628.png

image.png.16575563606145e1fa72bc3c7c78c04e.png

Anyone want to lick the bowl?

image.png.0eaa42f7dee0fb96a728b366219f2e11.png

Leftover from my first attempt at chocolate mousse:

image.png.326dc8ba60e0b343c38ae0e6a0f17c3c.png

image.png.2f5963d501db66c9e744b9e2546195db.png

Knocked up a cracking lunch at the weekend. A "taco" in a baked sweet potato. Devine.

image.png.2cfdcfdb77c43c42dd8e8235665980aa.png

• Awards Moderator
11 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I bought a boneless turkey crown to cook for Xmas dinner this year. Any tips on the best way to cook it?

The best thing you can do is stuff and roll it into a turkey roulade. Create a stuffing of things you like bound with breadcrumbs, butter and egg; spread over the butterflied turkey; roll up; cover with bacon and tie. 

Cooks really quickly (about 90 minutes?)  and everyone gets the same mix of goodies in a slice. 

I've made this before but masochistically started with a whole turkey I boned myself. Very challenging but good fun. 

Here's a Tom Kerridge recipe to get you started but there are literally thousands of recipes for this. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/toms_turkey_roll_with_44115

• Awards Moderator
50 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Thanks! I will have a look around. What's the best thing to do with the skin if you do this, in your opinion?

Turkey crackling. Peel it off and grill on over a cooling rack. Season heavily. 

• Awards Moderator
11 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I have decided to sous vide it, for convenience. Will bake some stuffing separately. Not sure on the timings and can't really find a decent guide online so fingers crossed! 

Chefsteps have sous vide guides for everything. They recommend between 3 and 6 hours. 

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/crown-and-roulade-the-chefsteps-turkey

• Paid Members

Awesome little haul for Xmas. Got a Stand Mixer from the mother-in-law, a pasta machine from my sister-in-law, a cast iron griddle from the missus and madeleine and bundt tins from my brother. Plus a couple of cook books. My brother also brought us a big bag of sweets back from America and brought me this cake spice mix with them.

image.png.8f6a5056fbbbc123f13995f29f6a1630.pngimage.png.89811fad2f46630d24f234320de8eee2.png

These were this year's mince pies, did a viennese topped. They were sensational.

image.png.bdbcf9dcb930c7c66ad2e600f0a4cbe6.png

Did these mini cheesecakes too with malteaser reindeers. Simple but lush.

image.png.61ea6eecb1957a4732a40e405dd36730.pngimage.png.8a5a7ec6ab31475f8e2344995933b879.png

Mint choc mousses too:

image.png.17c06842337724209a5978ffc089c101.png

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

What a year in cooking and baking it's been for you Rick. Looking forward to your new stuff in 2020. That stand mixer is going to change your life. 

Cheers pal. I hope so. I really wanted one but worried I won't use it enough. Got a couple of things planned for the weekend to give it a first run out.

I'd still like to cook more rather than just baking but I don't tend to have an evening meal very often and also have a kid who will hardly anything that isn't cheese and chips so it's difficult. Easier to just do the same old stuff like Lasagne, Bolognese and Chili and freeze portions. Though I'm goign to do a Lasagne with home made pasta which will be a game changer.

• Paid Members

Gave my mixer a test on the weekend. Started with some New York style double chocolate cookies:

image.png.4845aa916f4e5c182f08c7cb2417db0e.png

image.png.b92413ace1dec614daf93299f6337ea4.png

Then tried some "pretty" cupcakes. I got the recipe for these from Cupcake Jemma on YouTube. My daughter loves biscoff so I wanted to do something with them in. These are biscoff cupcakes with a Biscoff base with Biscoff speread and cream filling and then Swiss merinque buttercream with Biscoff spread on top. Can hopefully see all the layers in the bottom pic.

image.png.fa21f2eef80474f6dbc9c63b01ec18d3.png

image.png.e5ec63bcda47ddc6568061fdde1ae82a.png