The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I'm retreadingĀ old ground here, but as it's probably my favourite thing I've cooked this year, did another 24 hour pork shoulder. Same rub: brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, coriander seeds, pepper, salt, oregano, chilli flakes and liquid smoke.

This time, rehydrated all the meat after finishing in the oven in the drained meat juices which I had thickened up with mustards, spices and other sauces. The feeling of the first bite into this is too lewd to type.

20190825_184637.jpg

20190825_185129.jpg

20190825_191126.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I've done a few more bits over the last week. You'll have to excuse the poor quality of the photos.

First up, more beer bread! This time using a darker, richer ale that did a treat and gave a much nicer taste. I also added chopped onions to the mix which added some extra texture and flavour. Still not 100% happy with it, but getting closer to what I'm after

gdEj7ZD.jpg

1qBd7Xs.jpg

In addition to the bread, on Saturday morning we had chilaquiles, or an adapted version of them. Leftover tortillas cut up and fried and cooked in a tomatillo salsa. Served with feta, creme fraiche, and chopped onions, plus poached eggs.Ā 

FbGYs66.jpg

Finally, a lovely asparagus, puy lentil and soft boiled egg salad with an olive oil and Dijon mustard dressing, served with lightly toasted beer bread. Really enjoyed this one and it was dead simple and a great way to use up stuff we had in the fridge, which is always a bonus. Eggs probably needed another 20 seconds or so, but it tasted nice!

EpxLPVf.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

For lunch I attempted the Japanese dish omu-rice. Which is basically an omelette on rice, but covered in a type of gravy or ketchup. I just used a microwave packet of rice and I overcooked the omelette a bit. It wasn't the best looking thing which is why I didn't take a picture, but the sauce definitely made it really nice. This is the recipe I followed, but being a filthy gaijin who disrespect Nihon I didn't use chopsticks.

Ā 

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

That omelette-rice thing sounds gross. Like walking-in-drunk-whats-in-the-fridge food. I'm glad you liked it and even more glad you didn't share a picture of it.Ā 

It's essentially a really eggy version of egg fried rice, except it's supposed to be a runny omelette.Ā 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Someone's been watching Barry Lewis I see (no bad thing)

Yeah, we love his stuff. The recipes and the gadget reviews anyway. They seem to film most of their lives which I'm not into.

Don't know if he has a recipe for his but I just took my standard one and doubled it. Got shit loads of butter cream in the fridge if anyone wants any!