The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

24 hour ribs sous vide. Rub of paprika, smoked paprika, coriander seeds, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. After the sous vide, reapplied rub and then basted with BBQ sauce made from the meat juices. Side of dill potato salad.

Very nice, although I preferred the pulled pork the other week. I don't know how I lived without the water bath. It's glorious.

20190622_132137.jpg

20190622_181302.jpg

20190622_192550.jpg

• Paid Members
On 6/17/2019 at 10:15 AM, tiger_rick said:

Not only is work incredibly busy this week and we are organising our annual football tournament which takes every spare second but I've also volunteered to make cakes for a cake stall. So I think I might be pulling an all-nighter on Thursday and Friday! Planning Coffee cakes, Lemon Drizzle, Brownies, Bakewells, Cornflake Tart, Viennese Biscuits, Mint choc cookies and gingerbread. Maybe chocolate concrete too. People seem to be into that "retro" thing.

Didn't pull the all-nighter but did spend three hours before work on Friday and six hours after on this! Result below. Differs from above but:

Top left - Maids of honour. Traditional lemon recipe

Top right - Mint brownies. So pleased with these. I left the batter in the fridge all day Friday and cooked at night and it makes for an amazing fudgey brownie. Several people told me they were the best brownies they've ever eaten which made me so chuffed if I'm honest.

Middle left - Cornflake tart. Really enjoyed making this and it was pretty easy. Fell apart a bit on cutting though. The cornflakes weren't sticky enough. Room for improvement.

Middle right - Victoria Sponge. First attempt at this and it was really good. Proper Victoria sponge consistency and a really delicious buttercream. A fluke but who cares!?

Bottom left - Lemon Drizzle - Done a few of these now. Worked well.

Bottom right - "Rocky road" or fridge cake or whatever you want to call it. Chocolate hob nobs, marshmallows, honeycomb and white choc ships in melted milk and dark chocolate. An easy one to get in the fridge early.

image.png.a4ef30c23805ce73d7c64f0d4422d6db.png

A successful weekend I think. We made about 1000 hot drinks and sold as many hot butties off the BBQ as well as all the cake that was left after out volunteers had taste tested everything!

Edited by tiger_rick

• Moderators

I want to make more Mexican food. Anyone got any good recipes or eaten any really good Mexican food that it would be worth trying to make? Also any recommendations for a good Mexican cookbook or website?

So I'm not just asking a question, here's a picture of the desserts I made for a family potluck at the weekend. Vanilla panna cotta with a mango and lime sauce, and madeleines on the side. I bottled trying to make desserts to turn out from moulds in case they didn't set properly or I fucked up the un-moulding.

20190622_220145.thumb.jpg.a8c24691e03939843d49ad5bbaaba01e.jpg

• Paid Members

@Chest Rockwell  I appreciate she's not everyone's cup of tea (mine included to an extent) but Thomasina Miers' book has some really easy, nice simple Mexican recipes. Would recommend really highly. She did a TV version too which I imagine is online somewhere. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mexican-Food-Simple-Thomasina-Miers/dp/0340994975

EDIT - Actually this one is very good too https://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Burrito-Shay-Ola/dp/1845339061/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3MTNRSPVM2RC&keywords=death+by+burrito&qid=1561475166&s=books&sprefix=death+by+burri%2Cstripbooks%2C329&sr=1-1

Edited by mim731
More books

• Moderators

I knew of that book but the thing that's putting me off it is that it's always described as "simple and easy recipes". I know food doesn't have to be complicated to be nice, but at the same time I don't want to shy away from higher effort dishes and I'm worried there'll be some really nice stuff that she just wouldn't include in order to make the book more accessible.

Will have a look at that other one.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Awards Moderator
11 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I knew of that book but the thing that's putting me off it is that it's always described as "simple and easy recipes". I know food doesn't have to be complicated to be nice, but at the same time I don't want to shy away from higher effort dishes and I'm worried there'll be some really nice stuff that she just wouldn't include in order to make the book more accessible.

I was going to recommend Thomasina as well; I know she's "just a Masterchef champion" but she has done the hard work of smoothing out the more difficult stuff in Mexican cooking. Mesa in particular is practically impossible in this country, and is a staple of the cuisine. She's really done the homework.

The other thing is to decide if you want the authentic Mexican, or the Tex-Mex style recipes. Both are nice, but you will be importing a load of stuff for the authentic. Especially varieties of chilli.

• Paid Members

Ahhhhh, maÒ«a! Maize flour. Duh - don't know why that didn't occur to me straight away.

Houchen - I thought those were nuts

Edited by Carbomb

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I was going to recommend Thomasina as well; I know she's "just a Masterchef champion" but she has done the hard work of smoothing out the more difficult stuff in Mexican cooking. Mesa in particular is practically impossible in this country, and is a staple of the cuisine. She's really done the homework.

The other thing is to decide if you want the authentic Mexican, or the Tex-Mex style recipes. Both are nice, but you will be importing a load of stuff for the authentic. Especially varieties of chilli.

I'd definitely like to try to go as authentic as possible. I have no problem with having to import ingredients and wasting my time on doing things I probably don't need to do from scratch. It's half the fun for me tbh - I feel that's where I get the context and understanding of the cuisine. Of course I might not do it every time and would likely take shortcuts and make substitutions in the future (or make stuff in bulk to freeze).