The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator
19 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

What’s the worst that could happen to me if I ate a jarred pasta sauce that ran out early Jan?

In a jar, almost nothing if there is no visible mould. They are UHT and providing they're airtight are good for ages. Tins are the same. 

Though you probably needed this advice last night. No reply since. RIP. 

• Paid Members

Tried my hand at a new recipe for a quick lunch dish - chicken noodle soup.

Chopped up half an onion, half a carrot. Melted some butter (you can use coconut oil, I just prefer the taste of butter for this sort of thing) in a saucepan, put in a big spoonful of garlic & ginger paste, stuck in the carrot and onion. Stirred them around to soften, while putting in various herbs and black pepper, and Dunn's River All-Purpose Seasoning (the official spice of @Keith Houchen).

Boiled some water, put about 400ml in the saucepan, then chucked in a chicken Stockpot (I just find they melt quicker than stock cubes) and stirred. 

Meanwhile, boil up some vermicelli (could use spaghetti, but I like it thin), then stick it in the soup.

Serve in a bowl, and there you have it - a flavoursome, quick, hearty lunch. Should take about twenty minutes at most, ten if you've got the prepped carrot and onion in the fridge.

• Paid Members

Squeezed in some more cooking at the weekend around the football and kids birthday parties!

Did this for tea on Saturday. It's a Greek Pastitsio. It's almost Moussaka but with a pasta and feta base rather than vegetable. It was seriously nice. I found the bechemel harder work than last week but I did have a stinking headache so that maybe why. Loads of calories but exercised portion control!

image.thumb.png.7f25d8ac38824724dcc0e188e7ee5577.png

Recipe: https://akispetretzikis.com/categories/zymarika/to-pastitsio-toy-akh

Made these Sunday morning. Mini cheesecakes with a surprise centre. Came out really well. My last cheesecake fell to bits so I was chuffed with these.

image.png.b9dfbf8e3bdea18c727075a6395f9697.png

image.png.27e5b0b174dbb427c6a6c26f4bea15b1.png

image.png.50df9afecfc3c335c218f344cfed6f97.png

image.png.bd8a0a94a0b52a0d46da2b4f61ceaafd.png

image.png.f052e234e806fc5f82dce661b7b2b88d.png

Peanut butter cup, Strawberry, Lemon curd and Mint choc chips if you're wondering!

Lastly, did a cottage pie for tea with loads of veg. Found the casserole dish in a Charity shop for £3 so well pleased with that too.

image.png.a926d36a2edc2a3c4d77320b31bef29b.png

The veggies are still going great on the bathroom windowsill. Look at the squashes in a week. Gonna have to move them to a new container. Peppers popping up now as well as loads of strawberry plants (left).

image.png.8a2cb7977749a3ec985683ce111c3dd9.png

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

So I all but cut out gluten and dairy 2 years back due to health issues but I'm finding I can manage a bit of both these days aslong as I don't go mad. I've had a few chippy teas over the last few months and my body is starting to get used to this stuff again.

Anyways, I've been dreaming of Lasagna for months now so finally made one again after about 2 years. 

Screenshot_20190325-120559_Messenger.thumb.jpg.686a8dcd5b223f50dcf8f9c7053d1798.jpg

I got a little excited and ate most of it. 

It's been a rough morning to say the least, but I regret nothing. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So I finally got round to another bread bake - same recipe as last time, only this time I toasted the sesame seeds a bit to bring out their flavour, and, more importantly, I followed @Onyx2's advice about "knocking it back". It's only just come out of the oven and is resting, so haven't had a chance to sample it yet, but here's what it looks like straight out of the oven (on Onyx' favourite bread board):

1675448351_bread3rdbake.thumb.jpg.2f76454592873bf13319c9205b4b08d6.jpg