The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

😂

In all honesty, mixed feelings - the gannets that are my family have blitzed through half the loaf!

1910653392_bread3rdbakecrumbshot.thumb.jpg.9921a7a3a6d2160de4b434d0f9a82559.jpg

Couldn't get the sesame seeds to stick like last time, they've gone all over the place, like baker's glitter or something.

To be honest, there doesn't appear to have been much difference made with knocking it back this time: it's still got that heavy, cakey texture to it.

BUT: I suspect it's because the yeast I was using is a little old - got it at the weekend. I also reckon I might have kneaded it too much; did 15 minutes, by the end of which it was quite solid and not easy to manipulate. It didn't rise as much as I'd hoped.

Still turned out OK, tastes good (even though I say so myself, which I do).

• Awards Moderator

It's a great looking loaf. It hasn't risen enough though. Could be the yeast but I think your oven isn't hot enough. And after knocking back it has to sit another 30 minutes at least. Keep experimenting!

I might make a loaf now 🍞 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

It's a great looking loaf. It hasn't risen enough though. Could be the yeast but I think your oven isn't hot enough. And after knocking back it has to sit another 30 minutes at least. Keep experimenting!

Yeah, I thought it might be that. I set it to 150.

I did leave it to prove a second time for 30 minutes, but it hadn't risen quite as much.

It's been lots of fun making little tweaks and seeing the results, so I'd really like to get this process down so I can start making some of the more exotic ones, like something with herbs in, or even this one where they work potato into the dough with rosemary:

https://www.bakewithjack.co.uk/blog-1/2017/3/8/rosemary-and-potato-ring

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

I might make a loaf now 🍞 

Yet again, a UKFF thread degenerates into poo talk

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

180 at least

I've started a loaf so I've taken photos all the way through. I'll share at the end of the day. 

Agreed the hotter the oven the better the crust.. Another trick it to put a deep tray in the bottom of the oven as you're pre heating your oven. Then as you put thedough in, chuck a load of cold water in the tray and quickly Close the oven. It's creates steam and with help with the crust. 

Edited by King of Hamptons

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King of Hamptons said:

Agreed the hotter the oven the better the crust.. Another trick it to put a deep tray in the bottom of the oven as you're pre heating your oven. Then as you put thedough in, chuck a load of cold water in the tray and quickly Close the oven. It's creates steam and with help with the crust. 

Thanks for that tip, will definitely try it out when I've got the basics down right!

• Awards Moderator

Bread then. Spoilered for loads of photos.

Here's what I used. 500g strong flour, 7g yeast, tablespoon each of salt and sugar. Water to bind. It's hard to give an amount of water as flour is fickle. I start by having a really large mug of warm water.

20190406_112516.thumb.jpg.3e90cb0cecea8045fee7ef5cea29b16e.jpg

Combine them all in a bowl. Mix them about (I never use any implements for making bread, I do it all by hand).

20190406_112726.thumb.jpg.70049a7b1aa6ac1266afd6b82ee74358.jpg

Then I add about 250ml of water and pull it all together. Then gradually add water. You want a mix that holds together in a sticky mass but doesn't leave your fingers too gunked when you work it.

20190406_112946.thumb.jpg.e57b3ee4391fdd33cdca363d01b58de9.jpg

Once you can work it the kneading starts. There's loads of techniques for this but some combo of pulling, stretching, slapping is a good start. It should take effort, put your back into it! I tend to hold it with one hand and push it away with the heel of my other hand. I pull it together and repeat until you have a soft Plasticine-like dough. It should take about 10 minutes.

20190406_113918.thumb.jpg.581808058b6d4afc090bfe8e45cab395.jpg

Put back in your bowl with a dust of flour on top and cling film tightly. Leave in a place without a draft for an hour.

20190406_114052.thumb.jpg.a50916849a2927d8b1b886028c11a329.jpg

I didn't get a shot of that but it should have puffed up. Knock it back and shape it into what you want your final loaf to look like.

20190406_173939.thumb.jpg.31d7506dba5a1d4ef603f4e29f63e0e0.jpg

I've slashed the top with a sharp knife as it encourages the gases to escape vertically and not split the sides. Not essential though, it just looks nice. Leave for another 30 minutes. Your oven should be on at least 180C. I checked mine for this one with a thermometer and it was nearer 200C. It will take a good 30 minutes and should sound hollow when you tap the bottom. If you're not sure leave it in longer rather than gamble - give it another 5 minutes.

20190406_191401.thumb.jpg.603204b8c21f171f523cc83f8dc44fed.jpg

20190406_211755.thumb.jpg.d42b759895d8315d4e0214f0f4d777c2.jpg

All it takes is time and following those loose principles. Then you can mess with it.

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Recent stuff. Beef Bourginion, crispy shallots and mange tout. Plus sous vide steak with rosemary and garlic and a stilton and peppercorn sauce. Vegetables and chips obviously home made and not from Lidl (I was preoccupied with a new sous vide set up).

20190324_180946.jpg

20190405_174845.jpg

FB_IMG_1554707770394.jpg

20190324_181000.jpg

• Paid Members

Hey @Onyx2, that looks great! Am definitely going to put into practice some of the techniques you've mentioned.

I love this thread, it's always tremendous to see what people have come up with. rick's creations are always a joy to see. Gus' steak makes me almost want to buy a sous vide kit (almost).

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I see @Gus Mears has fallen off the vegetarian wagon hard! 😁

Nah, that's all Quorn mate... 

@Carbomb it really is all it is cracked up to be as a cooking method. Those weren't especially expensive steaks and they practically melted. So much rosemary flavour in there as well. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

it really is all it is cracked up to be as a cooking method. Those weren't especially expensive steaks and they practically melted. So much rosemary flavour in there as well. 

Oh, I'm absolutely certain of it. It's the logistics of it that are currently putting me off - it would be an expensive luxury for me right now, I don't have the space for a water bath in the kitchen, and the whole thing seems a bit of a faff in general. I will probably get one someday, but for the time being I couldn't justify the expenditure.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Oh, I'm absolutely certain of it. It's the logistics of it that are currently putting me off - it would be an expensive luxury for me right now, I don't have the space for a water bath in the kitchen, and the whole thing seems a bit of a faff in general. I will probably get one someday, but for the time being I couldn't justify the expenditure.

Don't know if it would be any financially better to go the Uno route with a slow cooker like I did? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Creative-Cuisine-by-Grant-Compagno-PAIOLO-Heated-Pot-UNO-Sous-Vide-Controller/19010382664

40 quid all in. Got it as a Christmas present from a few people and it's done the job admirably so far. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Don't know if it would be any financially better to go the Uno route with a slow cooker like I did? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Creative-Cuisine-by-Grant-Compagno-PAIOLO-Heated-Pot-UNO-Sous-Vide-Controller/19010382664

40 quid all in. Got it as a Christmas present from a few people and it's done the job admirably so far. 

Interesting - I do have a slow cooker. How does that gadget interact with the slow cooker's heating mechanism? The description doesn't quite say how.