The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator
16 hours ago, Carbomb said:

What's mesa?

Yeah masa, I was channeling Half-life at the time 😛 I wondered why the Serious Eats recipe I was looking for wouldn't come up. This is the one I meant to link earlier:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/nixtamalized-corn-tortilla-masa-recipe.html

47 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Fucking hell, @Onyx2 you weren't kidding

Yeah it's a cuisine that hasn't made it over here. Whereas we've had Chinese / Indian / Pakistani immigration here for decades and they brought their trade route with them, we've never had a direct line to Mexican ingredients. Therefore it's really expensive to import.

New business idea for you there Chesty 😉

• Paid Members

@Chest Rockwell @Onyx2 Have you considered trying similar products from countries close to Mexico? There's a Colombian community in the Tottenham Hale/Seven Sisters area, and I daresay they might have at least some ingredients in common, given the similarity between some of the dishes. Might be worth a look.

• Paid Members

Not really cooking but as there's no showing off posh ingredients thread. 

Probably only @Gus Mears will be enough of a connoisseur to appreciate this but I had visitors from Switzerland and they brought me this massive chunk of mid aged Gruyere (left) and Swiss Vacherin (right). They're great cheeses, the Vacherin is like a cross between a solid waxy cheese and a really strong soft one like a camembert, it's pretty intense, it's stinking out my fridge.

20190627_235749.jpg

• Paid Members

Whole baked Vacherin is one of the best things you can do with cheese. It's like the gooiest baked camembert on earth, but with even better flavour once cooked. I wish people left quality Swiss cheese round my house!

I was away for a week with work recently and ended up spending two days of evening meal allowance, so 50 quid, entirely on cheese and crackers from this artisan Budgens near Hampstead. It was bloody great, just sat in the hotel room wallowing in about ten types of cheese.

• Paid Members

I'm slowcooking a chilli tonight  with Carolina Reapers in. Whenever I'm at home I usually end up having to rush a chilli when I'm at home, but I'm at my Mum's this weekend, and have some friends over here who like spicy food and we've been looking forward to making this for a while. There are a couple of different types of pepper in, something called diablo cooking sauce, different chilli powder, paprika (as always) and a couple of pieces of 85% cocoa solid dark chocolate for a little richness.

Anyone got any good tips to share for how to make a nice hollandaise sauce? Made it for the first time this morning with some salmon and eggs and it was okay, but definitely missing some flavour. Looked good, tasted average. 

Made it with four egg yolks, 125g melted butter, salt, pepper, squeeze of lemon juice and a splash of vinegar? 

• Awards Moderator

Well done if you made it without splitting 👍🏻

Without seasoning you are left with fat which is great but a bit bland. A touch more vinegar/lemon and salt will do the world of good. 

Fresh chopped herbs are a great option: something leafy like parsley, chives or tarragon. 

• Paid Members

Shakshuka for breakfast this morning. God, this is a great breakfast and there's a million different flavour combinations you can do for it. This one was standard onion, pepper, half a chilli and tomatoes to which I added fennel seeds, smoked paprika, chilli flakes, normal paprika and parsley. Blasts a hangover to the moon.

20190629_104530.jpg

20190629_105059.jpg

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Managed to make the chilli last all weekend. It wasn't as hot as we'd been expecting, but everybody who tried it said it was delicious, including the professional chef who gave me the peppers in the first place, which was nice. I know what I need to do to try and get more heat next time. I just need a window of opportunity.  This is me warming the last bit up. It was fascinating how it'd changed as it stood longer. 

IMG_20190630_143520.jpg

• Paid Members

Did a couple of batches of pizza dough on Sunday so here's last night's Al Fresco tea. Diet Coke not Guinness.

image.png.171dc6588dc7332763716c3d60629588.png

Update on my veggies. Lots of peas sprouting now. Carrots nice and big (top right), strawberries starting to flower and first buds from the peppers (bottom right).

image.png.abc1116f54f32efdef0ba7ddec02d113.png

Grew the seeds on the bathroom windowsill and couldn't fit everything in my tubs and baskets so had three strawbs and two peppers left over which are actually growing the best where they are so just leaving them.

image.png.c379c2aba930e07a480cfc4512e1d46a.png