The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Really enjoying "mexican" stuff recently. Done tacos a couple of times. This was from Saturday. Used and El Paso spice mix (mild BBQ one) and added beans, peppers and onions and sweet potato (just because it needed eating) to their soft tacos (which are bloody lovely). My new favourite thing in the world. No way I'd have touched peppers and onions a year ago, wouldn't have tried anything spicy either. So glad I've started expanding my palette. Had a cracking burrito in town yesterday too.

image.png.c264c35d4195ccce723ceae073115391.png

I love the soft tacos. So much easier to eat than the hard ones which I'd been failing to eat properly for years. I'm going to have butternut squash and feta cheese ones tonight. I make my own spice mix for it using ground cumin seeds, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, chilli powder and crushed garlic and a little bit of oil. I roast the butternut squash in the oven covered in the spice mix and then chop up some peppers, leeks and mushrooms and try them. Once the butternut squash is done, I mix it all together, chuck some spinach in the tacos, add the mix and feta cheese and some guacamole if I've got it...... and now I'm hungry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not quite cooking but the other week I froze some oat and raisin cookie dough I had left over. One of my knobhead kids was moaning this moaning about the selection on offer for pack up so I baked these from frozen in 15 mins. Genius. Think I might go into the cookie dough business.

image.png.669bb0d2e332420a759343cb8958a36d.png

image.png.71256720ffb07a11b16db72c5e255928.png

Edit: I'm leaving that typo in. It's how you say it in Hull anyway.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Awards Moderator

Over in the Health and Fitness thread (I think?) @tiger_rick mentioned butternut squash. I made one of the recipes I described:

20190522_204201.thumb.jpg.2b3b652799cbab21f3b1046768575a70.jpg

Squash, sweetcorn and red onions roasted with rosemary. Tossed together with cooked pasta, balsamic vinegar and oil then some grated Parmesan. Wholesome. 

• Paid Members

Excited to be doing a 24 hour sous vide BBQ pork shoulder for the bank holiday. Liquid smoke, good quality rub, the whole lot (well, apart from an actual BBQ).

Few recent things. I've been using the water bath a lot recently. Did a chilli garlic chicken and a butter chicken from scratch weekend before last with all the sundries. Seven bloody hours in the kitchen, but I have base sauce for months now. Found the wonders of anchoor powder, which is basically tamarind on steroids, so used a lot of that to give my chilli garlic a nice sweet and sour twist.

Did my own spice stock for it and sous vide chicken thighs in a yoghurt spiced marinade for the curries. Just crisped them up in a hot pan with ghee after the water bath. 

Also, (pictured below the vacuum packed chicken) made a 24 hour sous vide brisket last weekend along with my standard roast trimmings. Appalling picture, but the beef was magnificent.

20190511_152131.jpg

20190511_164119.jpg

20190519_192728.jpg

Finally, another Coq au Vin, which remains one of my top 3 mains to cook and eat. Could go through gallons of the sauce.

20190506_185942.jpg

End results of the curry (that's the chilli garlic chicken with home made bombay aloo) 

20190511_202645.jpg

Homemade pizza tonight too! I will post results this eve. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Some poor bastard has to try and follow Gus and that poor bastard is me!

My sister-in-law bought me a 3 in one Doughnut/Waffle/Brownie maker recently. We got it dirty for the first time yesterday. It's very easy to put too much mixture in but it made lovely little doughnuts.

image.png.c8ade15ecc9b15c2f588c944aacdb7b7.png

We did some Strawberry shortcake inspired ones for after tea last night too. They were awesome.

image.thumb.png.646d779bc5d38e311c790a065b6e6cc9.png