The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Interesting - I do have a slow cooker. How does that gadget interact with the slow cooker's heating mechanism? The description doesn't quite say how.

Plug the Uno into the wall, then plug whatever slow cooking device into the Uno. The Uno then regulates to the temperature of the slow cooker to a temperature of your choosing by switching it off and on at appropriate points. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Plug the Uno into the wall, then plug whatever slow cooking device into the Uno. The Uno then regulates to the temperature of the slow cooker to a temperature of your choosing by switching it off and on at appropriate points. 

Ah, I see. Hmmmmm, that's definitely interesting. Verrrry interesting. 

Going to have to give this some serious thought. Thanks muchly for the tip.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

You fancy sharing that recipe? 

140g of each of butter, golden caster sugar, self raising flour and ground almonds. Combined in food processor with 2 eggs and a tsp of vanilla extract. That's pretty much it. Spread half in a 20cm cake tin, sprinkle raspberries (it said 250g but I used 150g and a few dollops of jam. Dollop on the rest of the cake mix and do for 50mins at 160 fan.

It's so simple that's from memory. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Recipe request!

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for fresh wholewheat pasta?

200g 00 plain flour, 200g wholewheat flour ( although I usually use a little less) 4 eggs. Pinch of salt, olive oil. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Thanks! Been having a craving for some fresh pasta recently.

Been having a pasta binge since Christmas. I made a sun dried tomato pasta dough a few weeks ago that was very special. 

• Paid Members

Wish I had bothered to so a slightly better picture of this because it was one of the best things I've cooked in ages.

Back using the water bath on pork chops this time. Mixed them all around in an olive oil, garlic, thyme and fennel seed mix and put them in for about 80 mins at 59 degrees before searing.

Been really getting into aubergine recently for side dishes, did roasted aubergine and red onion with chilli flakes and lemon peel (you mix the peel in after it comes out of the oven).

Asparagus tips with olive oil, lemon juice and parmesan.

Nice 70's dinner party dijon, white wine and basil sauce. Lovely stuff and made much better by dolloping in the meat juices from the sous vide bags.

Roast potatoes because I didn't want to think too out of the box with that this time.

BONUS AUBERGINE ACTION.

The last photo is a midweek dinner that's similar to the above aubergine one, but with chick peas and cherry tomatoes bunged in the roasting dish at appropriate times. Cheap, healthy and delicious. Just garnish with parsley or something at the end.

20190412_202543.jpg

20190412_184515.jpg

20190410_191933.jpg

• Moderators
On 4/11/2019 at 9:10 PM, chokeout said:

Been having a pasta binge since Christmas. I made a sun dried tomato pasta dough a few weeks ago that was very special. 

Cheers for the recipe. Made pasta last night and it really did scratch the itch. If you have any adventures in pasta making to share I'd love a bit of inspiration to do some more!

• Awards Moderator

I had two brilliant meals out recently, and recreated two of the dishes for home. 

20190409_185557.thumb.jpg.91f4bc30fbdc2c2f362721439b8fcee1.jpg

Scallops on bacon hollandaise. Had an outstanding starter of this at Petrus. Bacon hollandaise can be eaten by itself, with a side salad of guilt.

IMG_20190412_195918_012.thumb.jpg.ab66242d23db644e307953d88f0e83db.jpg

Porchetta with spinach, pickled radish and Parmesan cream. I had this at Union Street Cafe, and I liked it but there they served wafer thin porchetta and I wanted to try thick slices. Very satisfying! 

• Paid Members

Did another bake today. Made sure to have absolutely fresh yeast, bought today from the local Turkish baker. Dough was slightly sticky again, but managed to knead it OK. Proved it twice, then stuck it in the oven for an hour at 200.

Mixed bag of results: texture was definitely a bit lighter than before, but I clearly put it in for too long at too high a heat, because the crust was practically toasted. Very hard, had to basically saw it with the bread knife.

Ate the heel with some butter - tasted good, and the combo of toasted crust and soft crumb wasn't bad, a bit like a soft crostini or something. But definitely shouldn't have been that hard (kennethwilliams.gif).

215716813_bread4thbake.thumb.jpg.05c5324bc7b24e18ed70f1237fc7d632.jpg920908223_bread4thbakeslice.thumb.jpg.d49578b1465ac9805b2223684090ca32.jpg1452909939_bread4thbakecrumbshot.thumb.jpg.cccefbda6562b6e4528db2c4cb2e9f06.jpg

• Paid Members

Few bits from me since the weekend. Savoury first. Hard to get a good pic of this but my first attempt at Spinach and Ricotta Canneloni from scratch.

image.png.165b77d7c6e68e6860fb5a8fce0e96b1.png

image.png.d8f798ea5d2d5ecee9ce53496f322fa6.png

This is a Lamb casserole I did. Turned out not bad for someone who doesn't eat meat! Girls enjoyed it and no-one died!

image.png.43271972a25088fdeb6340851f004719.png

Next easter sweet bake, did cookies with mini eggs in. These were incredible when still warm. Pretty good when cool. Nice crunch and not overly sweet.

image.png.9f8a3d009c789e798286ed7247c45daa.png

This is my fave though. Did these Oatmeal Raisin cookies that were fantastic. Got another batch frozen too so more goodness to come.

image.png.e1b943e43eeac0bdec87f2bdc0133066.png