The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

The trick is double dipping first dip is flour, second dip is egg or milk third dip is back into the flour. When it comes to doing it have a dry hand and a wet hand, so right hand into the flour, then left hand taking it out of the wash and the right hand back out of the flour again. With tofu make sure to squeeze as much moisture as you can out of it before frying it, otherwise the moisture causes steam which blows holes in your batter causing it to unadhere to it.

Thank you. I think it is the wet/dry hand that lets me down. And also dry dip then into the milk before a second coat. I actually double squeeze my tofu. I squeeze it fresh, freeze it, defrost and squeeze again. Makes a massive difference to the texture.

5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Last one I'll bore you with

Just wanted to say I find your cookery posts the furthest thing from boring.  Couple them with your pics showing how much weight you've lost really makes for such a feel good story.  You really should be immensely proud of what you're achieving and long may it continue.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Just wanted to say I find your cookery posts the furthest thing from boring.  Couple them with your pics showing how much weight you've lost really makes for such a feel good story.  You really should be immensely proud of what you're achieving and long may it continue.

Thanks Houchen, I really appreciate that.

Just to show how bad I am at this, here are my treacle tarts that I completely cocked up last week by putting too much mixture in. To make it worse, I did the same with the jam and lemon tarts that I make all the time.

image.png.44232dda5dbaa5e12ec26b134c7b0e88.png

6 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Thank you. I think it is the wet/dry hand that lets me down. And also dry dip then into the milk before a second coat. I actually double squeeze my tofu. I squeeze it fresh, freeze it, defrost and squeeze again. Makes a massive difference to the texture.

If you're willing to prep it well in advance. You can coat it in advance and then fry from frozen. Egg wash is also better texture wise than milk.

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

He’s not going to fuck you mate

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Thanks Houchen, I really appreciate that.

Just to show how bad I am at this, here are my treacle tarts that I completely cocked up last week by putting too much mixture in. To make it worse, I did the same with the jam and lemon tarts that I make all the time.

Bet they tasted great though. Me and my eldest made a total pig's ear of the birthday cake last week but it tasted absolutely superb. I know what you mean though, it's disheartening when the presentation and aesthetic goes wrong!

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

Ease up on the sarcasm there, I meant in the context of using for a wash for battering shit for frying.

No sarcasm meant at all! I'm not an expert on vegan techniques so bowing to your experience.