The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Silky Kisser said:

Running out of tupperware

If you have a Chinese takeaway with the plastic pots, keep those. I have about 20 in my cupboard and I use them constantly. Bit of masking tape and a Sharpie and you can label up for the freezer too. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

If you have a Chinese takeaway with the plastic pots, keep those. I have about 20 in my cupboard and I use them constantly. Bit of masking tape and a Sharpie and you can label up for the freezer too. 

Yeah, I always use the Chinese tubs. Perfect excuse for a takeaway too. 

Filled up 12 tubs in total so the freezer and fridge are full. 

16 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

can i do this with frozen veg? i prefer to boil my veg in a pan rather than microwaving it, however i am happy to microwave it once its cooked/boiled like i expect you will here 

Not sure what the consistency would be like if its already frozen, Ralph. Probably would be fine though. 

And yeah, I'll just microwave each portion when I want it.

Edit - @Ralphy why not roast it in coconut oil? Tastes great. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

14 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Do you know if you can freeze it in the glassware? I want to make a lasagne and freeze it, I'm not sure how to assemble and transfer to a plastic one.... I guess I could just assemble in the plastic one if I had to

When I make stuff like cottage pies (and I guess you could do the same with lasagne), I'll make the main one that we're having for dinner in a casserole dish and make a couple of small ones in those foil takeaway tubs to stick in the freezer.

21TsrQAXm-L.jpg

I put the casserole dish in the oven and the foil ones in the freezer. When we want to eat one, I just take the cardboard lid off and stick it in the oven for 40 minutes.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, deathrey said:

Do you know if you can freeze it in the glassware? I want to make a lasagne and freeze it, I'm not sure how to assemble and transfer to a plastic one.... I guess I could just assemble in the plastic one if I had to

Glass has a habit of shattering when frozen. Best to transfer to a plastic/cardboard/foil container. I've wrapped cold lasagne in a foil parcel and frozen it in the past. A layer of cling film between the foil and food will stop the foil sticking to the food.

• Paid Members

This is how my Lasagne making turned out. I made it in the morning and then put in the fridge until tea time.

Ragu with mince and mushrooms:

image.png.833676c06b94a011721541ecf22e7f31.png

Cheese layer made from Ricotta, Cottage cheese and Mozzarella (would have added fresh Parsley but couldn't get any):

image.png.d70043a6a200a3156ff77717eed7fd4c.png

Assembled prior to going in the fridge:

image.png.9021ac9bcf5efb02441088bea3e97482.png

The finished article. Could have done with another 5 mins under the grill but I had hungry kids shouting at me:

image.png.6a60d751a98906eda820b40a20a982f9.png

Terrible photo of my piece. Allowed it to sit for 20 mins. Should have been longer but everyone was hungry.

image.png.e7f5d4c98975616ec2209097e6babb4b.png

Stupid to be proud of something so simple but its one of the more complicated things I've ever cooked. Fed 4 people with two pieces in the fridge for today and three big pieces frozen for next week. Per portion, it's quite expensive though because I bought the dish :laugh:

• Paid Members

Probably the least pretty dish on here but while I was in Italy I took some cooking classes and have become addicted to making my own fresh pasta so here's my home made pasta, with chorizo and Cured ham, made with tomatoes and chillies I grew in my garden

IMG_1847.JPG