The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I posted a while ago about trying to make my cheese scotch eggs in the oven and failing badly. Did them again traditionally yesterday. Apart from one that I took my eye off because I was washing up, they came out great.

image.png.e220d776d712823ca26c3e260dcdc524.png

image.png.9065d9db297bfe22b4c6d5d845ed0aa2.png

Also made chocolate and vanilla marbled cupcakes and some pretty pink buttercream to ice them :laugh:

image.png.d05d292972239b97fe43aba60f667c83.png

image.thumb.png.be00c91ca3d846b8eafb2ff2cf674ecf.png

• Moderators

Looks good! You should try making the scotch eggs with a soft yolk next time tiger.. It's the main advantage I found to making them at home. Tastes so amazing when they're hot and fresh.

They're a bit of a bugger to peel when soft boiled though. Apparently steaming them instead of boiling them is the answer, but I haven't tried that yet.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Looks good! You should try making the scotch eggs with a soft yolk next time tiger.. It's the main advantage I found to making them at home. Tastes so amazing when they're hot and fresh.

They're a bit of a bugger to peel when soft boiled though. Apparently steaming them instead of boiling them is the answer, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'm not a massive fan of soft boiled. One of the few things I loved as a kid and have gone off instead of the other way around.

22 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

The trick to it is to immediately plunge them into ice water with a couple of table spoons of salt mixed in and leave them in for about 5 minutes.This stops the insides cooking from residual heat and makes sure he white is solidified. Then peel the egg by rolling it around on the table until the shell is cracked into lots of little pieces. The shell should stick to the inner membrane and slide right off.

@tiger_rick When the egg is cooked again in the oil the heat makes the yolk solidify some more and means you get  a semi hard boiled egg so you don't have that grey ring around the yolk.

Edited by Rey_Piste
messed up the quotes.

3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

but what's the purpose of the salt? I've never heard that bit before.

Adding salt to the ice water drops the freezing point of water below 0 degrees, so it will end up being colder than 0 degrees.Basically it makes the eggs get colder quicker.

• Paid Members

I like Sorted Food but mainly to look at the food rather than using it for recipes. Similar to Binging with Babish. 

Planning on making a jalfrezi with some kind of a daal tomorrow. Might even branch out into some onion bhajis and bombay potatoes if I feel fancy. 

• Paid Members
On 1/11/2019 at 6:45 PM, Nexus said:

Planning on making a jalfrezi with some kind of a daal tomorrow. Might even branch out into some onion bhajis and bombay potatoes if I feel fancy. 

HHjFEaM.jpg

Tarka Dal in the bottom left, Bombay Potatoes above it, Saag Aloo above that. Chicken jalfrezi in the middle, and home made two ingredient naan. The pilau rice is normal rice with pilau seasoning, and I forgot to do any bhajis. 

It was very good, and I am pleased with how everything came out.