The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator
45 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Might set up a separate Christmas food thread. My favourite time of the year to cook and I'm already excitedly putting together my Christmas day menu.

Go do it! Happy to share my meal plans. @Chest Rockwell I cook for 12 most years, this year is the same. But I'll describe it in the other thread :-)

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Time to bore you shitless on a Monday morning as per usual. Did some proper cooking on Saturday. A Sausage cassoulet. I cooked it in the morning and then left it covered in the oven until tea time when I heated it. Really enjoyed this. So easy and made tea time a breeze.

image.png.d9b224c8df70dfddc2bafd14e754c7bf.png

Some baking on Sunday. Found this Christmassy recipe for cinnamon roll biscuits. These probably needed a bit more melted butter to really hold them together but they taste great. Ate far too many. Diet on hold!

image.png.7411e2a37d2e329505bfb5627f44f076.png

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Some baking on Sunday. Found this Christmassy recipe for cinnamon roll biscuits. These probably needed a bit more melted butter to really hold them together but they taste great. Ate far too many. Diet on hold!

image.png.7411e2a37d2e329505bfb5627f44f076.png

I love me some cinnamon and they look fantastic. How the hell did you lose all that weight, Rick, when you can make things like that? I’d quickly turn into a right fat little shit if I was that talented in the kitchen. 

• Paid Members

Having a shit week but am at home with nothing to do so been doing a bit of cooking/baking.

Made a batch of Marinara sauce yesterday from a "Subway copycat" recipe. It was really good although I'd grate the onion next time rather than slice as I'm shit at finely slicing.

image.png.0112ff948246960abd5ab2072fba0347.png

Froze a couple of batches and did one last night with Veggie meatballs and Mozzarella

image.png.079b7b6f9251ddcd45839927c5a0f7fc.png

Charity bake sale again at school this week so I did my gingerbread. Do you like a soft Gingerbread or crunchy?

image.png.ae74e4a7611e7727cb17d5a5504509c1.png

Then did Brownies again. Mint Aero. This is a cert for Xmas.

image.png.d97e11a0036ccc94251f0dd5a899213a.png

image.png.8e0850b5d69b5d2888db8925f73192e9.png

• Awards Moderator

Christmas jumper day at work. I make cheesy Christmas jumpers. 

20181212_203650-1008x567.thumb.jpg.85f6d0b59b8e6602f809b5484866c31e.jpg

Great work Rick. Re: chopping onions, El Gordono has a great video on the subject:

I also recommend as good a knife as you can afford. Makes all the difference. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Thunderplex said:

@tiger_rick, have you tried using a V-Slicer?  When I’m doing a shit load of fine slicing I throw them through mine. 

I don't have one. Thought about it recently trying to thinly slice potatoes. Will add it to my list.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah I posted that video I think in the Gordon Ramsey thread - that technique legit changed my life!

I've seen it on TV and used it fairly successfully before wgen I only needed half an onion but it just fell apart yesterday and I nearly cut my finger off. Realise I cut the ends off now!

• Awards Moderator
4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I don't have one. Thought about it recently trying to thinly slice potatoes. Will add it to my list.

You can use the wide side of a box grater (the one James Acaster says you don't use).

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Think we've had UK Food on too much this week. My 4yo is singing their jingle.

UK FFood, we need our own channel man.

Our 2 year old now just shouts cake at the tele. So we occasionally just pop it on UK Food in the hope someone’s making desserts.

Her favourite things to watch are programmes about cakes and programmes about slides (I know). We bought her a slide for her birthday and she sat at the top of it in the living room scranning her birthday cake, while still shouting cake at the tele.