The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

@SiMania do you still use your pizza oven? 

I sure do. It gets an outing most weeks even throughout the Scottish winter. I changed it from pellet to gas at the end of last year for ease of use and it's not have any detrimental effect to the final product. 

• 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

Picking up this thread for cookery as opposed to food chit chat and eating out stuff.

Made cannoli yesterday. A bit of faff but really enjoyable. Standard pasta dough but wrapped around dried canneloni tubes then deep-fried. Puffs up like a balloon in seconds, then deflates to the pleasing roll shape.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

any tips please? I have looked on youtube but i cant really find any suitable

Not at home at the moment so can't access the book but googled it and this lady has used rachel Allen's Flapjack recipe which is really easy and doesn't use masses of sugar. Tip on the Golden syrup, Morrisons do an own brand syrup in a squeezy bottle (like kethup) that is so much easier to use than the Lyle's tins.

http://bumblesofrice.com/2013/02/03/flapjacks/

• Awards Moderator
57 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Not at home at the moment so can't access the book but googled it and this lady has used rachel Allen's Flapjack recipe which is really easy and doesn't use masses of sugar. Tip on the Golden syrup, Morrisons do an own brand syrup in a squeezy bottle (like kethup) that is so much easier to use than the Lyle's tins.

I read that link as "Bumble's Orifice" which is a food blog I would read.

T&L do squeezy bottles too. Nozzle down or nozzle up, your choice.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

can i use maple syrup instead? i have to be careful with my sugars (fructose intolerance) 

It mentions trying it without syrup. It's mainly for the bind in something like Flapjack so substitute will be fine. Could swap sugar for sweetener or stevia or something too.

• Paid Members

Flapjacks in general are quite a simple recipe, which means you can mess around with them a fair bit (within reason, of course). My mum makes some of the best flapjacks I've ever tasted - sweet, buttery, chewy and crumbly. One of her favourite tricks is to mix the Golden Syrup with a bit of molasses (well, Black Treacle really - molasses isn't quite as common here). 

The most recent batch she made, she put in toasted sesame seeds, which gave them a lovely, roasted, nutty flavour. 

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Lyle's have made a squeezy Golden Syrup bottle specifically for baking for quite some time now, but own-brand is almost always cheaper and similar quality anyway.

• Paid Members

I always use Tofoo, if whichever supermarket I’m in has it in stock, but tbh I haven’t found too much difference between brands. As Keith said you should be safe if you go for firm or even extra firm, either way be sure to press under a chopping board with a couple of cookbooks on top or something. 

Key thing I’ve discovered with tofu is that it requires a lot of seasoning. And if I’m using it in something such as a Thai curry I’d coat it in cornflour and fry it off first to give it a better texture and appearance. 

This Ottolenghi recipe is genuinely one of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten. 

https://ottolenghi.co.uk/black-pepper-tofu-a-shop

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members

Tofoo is the best brand I have found which is extra firm. Cauldron is what Asda sells and that is my local. That is firm, so I tend to press that one before using it to get more water out and make it more firm.

I have bought a fried chicken flour mix from the Caribbean food section and I chop up the tofu, coat it in that flour and fry it until golden. Works really well in stir-frys or with anything really.  

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Cheers Ralphy. I think I'm about a billion miles away from this though. Seeing what they do on that show, some of them are artistically brilliant.

Couple of bits from my weekend. Choc biscuits with a white chocolate centre. These were really good. They're meant to crackle a bit on top and they end up nice and crunchy with a soft middle. Cold they're good, warm they're incredible. It's a Jamie Oliver recipe. I know he's beloved on here.

image.png.b7eb997f8e6aa1a4bd184246e345ed1e.png

Also did my first ever cheesecake using Mars bars. It didn't quite set so not sure if I put a bit too much cream in or if it wasn't thick enough. Tastes fantastic. I used chocolate digestives for the base and that was the best bit. Will have another go at this.

image.png.b8fe38f816d860bc74b605222dbe1e8b.png