The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

15 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Never looked in this thread before, is there much vegan talk or would that get shit on?

Nah, quite a few of us have talked about, shared, or posted our vegan recipes on here.  Will have to dig out mine for spicy risotto and the one for Caribbean wedges.

8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

He lives in Vietnam?  Blimey, I don't think he's ever mentioned that.

Did I? I can't recall bringing that up before Gus. Well that's the one interesting thing about me worn out for good then.

I haven't tried the egg coffee actually, I think I talked about the Ca Phe Sua which is black coffee with condensed milk. Delicious but terrible for you!

• Paid Members

So I've been watching a lot of old 60s and 70s comedy roasts, with the likes of Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Milton Berle, Jack Benny, Don Rickles, etc. There are generally two types: the Dean Martin Comedy Hour ones, and the Friars' Club ones, the latter of which take place in the Kraft Music Hall, which means, obviously, they're sponsored by Kraft. I found this awesome one of Jack Benny, and whoever uploaded it has managed to find a copy that still has the old 60s Kraft adverts in, and they're very much of their time.

The thing about these adverts is that they have recipes using Kraft products in them, and there are some interesting ones in there. I particularly like the grape jam French toast, the mashed jacket potatoes with Miracle Whip (which, I'm told, is the US version of Salad Cream), and the tuna salad sandwich.

Have a watch:

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

You can get Miracle Whip in places like Home Bargains and B+M’s now and again.  Tastes like fake mayonnaise, bloody awful stuff.

Then Salad Cream's probably the better bet. I tried the same recipe with mayonnaise, and it wasn't bad at all.