The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Sounds like a handsome feast @Gus Mears. One tip with the mushrooms duxelle, drain it thoroughly before layering to keep the pastry super-crisp.

Cheers Onyx. Not quite as exciting as doing three meat joints last year (turkey, beef and ham), but that's largely my fault. Was thinking of doing the duxelle a little in advance, draining and then putting in the fridge for a bit. Would that be sensible? Or should I just cook, drain and put in with the Quorn and pastry in your view?

Edited by Gus Mears

• Awards Moderator
47 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Cheers Onyx. Not quite as exciting as doing three meat joints last year (turkey, beef and ham), but that's largely my fault. Was thinking of doing the duxelle a little in advance, draining and then putting in the fridge for a bit. Would that be sensible? Or should I just cook, drain and put in with the Quorn and pastry in your view?

Absolutely chill it right down after every stage. Helps the Wellington retain it's shape. All the excess liquid and steam makes it lose form when cooking. Still tasty, just not very appealing to look at, and won't carve prettily.

• Paid Members

We have Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve, so today I have been doing major prep.  Free Range turkey has been buttered, stuffed and covered with streaky bacon.  I just stuff the neck-end with my own stuffing combo, and place some finely shredded onion and sage up it’s arsehole for flavour.  Pigs in blankets made, root veg bake made, cranberry sauce made, bread sauce made, and veg peeled and chopped.  Shagged out now.

• Awards Moderator

Prep for tomorrow done. 

20171224_122432.thumb.jpg.6851fb6e7894d29b5fa0d5060b41f7aa.jpg

Potatoes boiled and freezing. 

20171224_124440.thumb.jpg.e17f1184fc67d122118e75217acf320e.jpg

Carrots and sprouts chopped. 

20171224_122426.thumb.jpg.ed953bab1b90df32de98ae11dbfda396.jpg

Turkey boned, stuffed and rolled. 

Pigs in blankets done too. Here's my timings for tomorrow:

IMG_20171223_123201_623.thumb.jpg.dbe7cb5012702bd3eb438b9b7a772de1.jpg

Good luck Plexy! 

• Moderators

Christmas at my sister's tomorrow. I am in charge of chicken and potatoes. (We don't like turkey, so I am making two large chickens).

Chickens are brining now. I made the brine last night and they've been in since this morning. Gonna boil the potatoes now. (Cooking them by the Big Spud method, of course).

Should I freeze them after they're boiled or just keep them in the fridge? And how long do they need to be out before roasting if they're frozen tonight?

Also, as a bonus - my year of playing around with making my own sausages and curing meats has culminated in some pigs in blankets made entirely from scratch for the first time. Apple cocktail sausages wrapped in maple cured bacon.

Edit: the answer to my potato question was right there in the recipe. That'll teach me to read properly.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Prep for tomorrow done. 

20171224_122432.thumb.jpg.6851fb6e7894d29b5fa0d5060b41f7aa.jpg

Potatoes boiled and freezing. 

20171224_124440.thumb.jpg.e17f1184fc67d122118e75217acf320e.jpg

Carrots and sprouts chopped. 

20171224_122426.thumb.jpg.ed953bab1b90df32de98ae11dbfda396.jpg

Turkey boned, stuffed and rolled. 

Pigs in blankets done too. Here's my timings for tomorrow:

IMG_20171223_123201_623.thumb.jpg.dbe7cb5012702bd3eb438b9b7a772de1.jpg

Good luck Plexy! 

I do love a good list!  Cheers buddy!

The meal was amazing!  Spuds crunchy as hell, but delightfully fluffy in the middle, and the turkey was moister and juicier than i’d Ever had before.  Here’s the table!

E7753601-E14C-4A8A-AED4-F5426A6EEA37.jpeg

• Paid Members

I'd post our turkey prep, but my mum takes full control of all that - she usually does the roasts, so we bought a range cooker a few years ago for that purpose. Her cooking the entire Chrismas dinner on that thing is like watching the Phantom of the Opera playing the pipe organ, or Lev Yashin in goal, arms skilfully moving all over the shop.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

20171224_181720.jpg
how to host an image

Traditional Christmas Eve buffet at mine. Feeling slightly the worse for ware from Kir Royal, but onwards and upwards.

Good luck to everyone today and that looks shit-hot Plex.

Cheers buddy.  It was very, very nice, but I’m more of a buffet person, especially cheese, so am literally drooling at that lot you’ve got there.

• Paid Members

Got my prep nearly done. I can cook this dinner with my eyes closed now as this is the 7th year in a row.

Had 3 people drop out this year, so only 4 of us, but the same amount of food. Looking forward to the Bubble & Squeek more than the Roast to be honest.

Stuffing, Yorkshire Pudding Batter, Gravy, Braised Red Cabbage, Swede and Carrot Mash, and Sprouts (will be fried with bacon and chestnuts.)

IMG_0362.jpg

And this bad boy in the oven since 9am. Turkey is for wimps, it's all about the cracklin' at Christmas. Gonna do the spuds in the pork fat.

IMG_0363.jpg

Edited by Chilly McFreeze

• Paid Members

Just finished Christmas Dinner. Cooked turkey beef and ham for 7 usual trimmings and veg on the side with two types of stuffing, red cabbage as well and then chucked in some Yorkshire puddings because why the hell not. 

Have been on my feet since midday. Exhausted, super full, tempted to set fire to my kitchen so I don't have to wash up. Merry Christmas you lovely bunch of heroes. 

Edited by Shy Dad