The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Chilly McFreeze said:

Got my prep nearly done. I can cook this dinner with my eyes closed now as this is the 7th year in a row.

Had 3 people drop out this year, so only 4 of us, but the same amount of food. Looking forward to the Bubble & Squeek more than the Roast to be honest.

Stuffing, Yorkshire Pudding Batter, Gravy, Braised Red Cabbage, Swede and Carrot Mash, and Sprouts (will be fried with bacon and chestnuts.)

IMG_0362.jpg

And this bad boy in the oven since 9am. Turkey is for wimps, it's all about the cracklin' at Christmas. Gonna do the spuds in the pork fat.

IMG_0363.jpg

Just about to argue the toss about the turkey then I saw that pork.  Literally drooling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, chokeout said:

Gents, I need your help. I'm dipping my toe into Sous vide cooking and need pointing in the right direction for tips and recipes ( and suggestions for books are more than welcome)

ta

Friend of mine started using this method last year as part of a pop up linked to his tap house. I know he used a chicken dish from this site.

It looks pretty good in general actually:

https://www.sousvidetools.com/toolshed/category/recipes/

• Paid Members

This is my go-to page for this wonderful way of cooking.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/first-thing-to-cook-with-sous-vide-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html

Im sure Sir Onyx of Kitchendon will be along soon with some cracking info.

• Awards Moderator
8 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

This is my go-to page for this wonderful way of cooking.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/first-thing-to-cook-with-sous-vide-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html

Im sure Sir Onyx of Kitchendon will be along soon with some cracking info.

Like the rite of AshkEnte, the words 'sous vide' will summon me instantly to a thread. 

The first question @chokeout, do you already have some kit? 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Like the rite of AshkEnte, the words 'sous vide' will summon me instantly to a thread. 

The first question @chokeout, do you already have some kit? 

I got some kit yesterday, nothing too fancy to start, just one of the clip on jobbies and a vacuum sealer. I also bought a lot of steak because it just seemed like the right thing to do. 

• Awards Moderator
20 minutes ago, chokeout said:

I got some kit yesterday, nothing too fancy to start, just one of the clip on jobbies and a vacuum sealer. I also bought a lot of steak because it just seemed like the right thing to do. 

Steak is the perfect starting place. Assuming you like medium rare, 58c for one hour followed by a 30 second sear in a screaming hot pan and you'll never eat it any other way.

As Sexy Plexy said, the Serious Eats guide is the best one out there. Anything you want to sous vide will have already been cooked by Kenji. Brisket is AMAZING.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I really want to try fish this way. They always give the fish a bath on master chef, and when it goes right it looks bloody amazing.

Not a fish fan due to the fact I normally overlook it.  Tried it with swordfish When I first got it and it cooked to perfection.  Had it several times since which is unheard of with me and fish.

• Paid Members

I attempted some home made not bread tonight to go with a tagine. Never tried it before but basically I have to cut out wheat. It’s basically ground almond, coconut flour and tapioca flour.

Ended up a bit like Peshwari. Unfortunately the middle was a little bit gloopy, and I fried it for as long as it could handle before it burned. Avoiding the likes of proper flour and obvious starchy stuff, can anyone recommend an ingredient to help with this at all?

23BBEFE5-EB7B-4367-BE27-A8A2B35419AD.jpeg