The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

I had a go at making my own chutney this morning, as I'd never attempted one before I followed Nigella Lawson's Christmas Chutney recipe.  Followed the recipe pretty much to the letter but have found that the end product is quite vinegary. I've jarred them all up anyway but now I'm wondering if there's anything I can do while it's still pretty fresh?  Will the vinegaryness mellow out a bit as it matures in the jar? I really don't have a clue. The reason I made it was to impress my girlfriend's dad, we're spending Christmas at his and he's a big cheese fan so thought it would be quite nice to go along with that but I don't want to hand him a jar of fruity Sarson's.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:32 PM, Onyx2 said:

Deffo trying that pickled lemon rice... sounds really good! I made a pretty good winter soup that takes all of 15/20 minutes that was a variation from the base of Lohikeitto, a Finnish smoked salmon soup (which I also made and was given the thumbs up in the house) 

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, Shy Dad said:

I'd bloody love a Ukff cook book. There'd be no way of running a competition on here about who's the best chef (without a external judge creating recipes using our recipes and judging that way) but a wrestling themed cook book would be pretty banging. 

You know, I could probably do this pretty cheap if there was enough interest. It would be more like a football programme/fanzine but if there was enough interest in theory...

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Likewise. I've got a load of Mauritian recipes from my dad, and also a lot of recipes for British dishes and from all over from my mum.

Saw a cracking short feature on a Mauritian eatery on the food network the other night, tucked between some other show.  Just a guy and his dad who run a small resteraunt.  Food looked cracking.

I’ve had an amazing amount of inspiration from this thread, and reckon a cook book would be a great idea.  We would have to include a couple of pages on the best ways to reheat a rustlers so Butch wouldn’t have a bitch fit though.

• Paid Members

What are the Crimbo plans for all and sundry this year?

I'm still charged with cooking Christmas dinner, despite turning vegetarian in March. I'm actually doing a Lamb shoulder, as a Turkey crown seemed excessive for three people, two of which don't eat very much. Probably slow roast it with some sort of herb crust, generally prefer a more Middle Eastern style vibe with slow roasted lamb, but don't want to offend the old fogeys in attendance with uppity spices from foreign lands. 

As for me, I'm going to make a Quorn roast en Croute/Wellington. I actually really like Quorn roast joints, so cooking one of them and putting it in a role of pastry, layering mushrooms cooked in red wine, herbs and other stuff and blitzed in the blender and then wrapping around. I reckon it will work a treat.

As for trimming and veg:

- Parsnip and onion bake with Garam Masala 
- Sprouts with chestnuts
- Roast potatoes (do mine in Olive Oil, not meat fat, so this will be fine)
- Peas with mint
- Red cabbage with red onion, sherry vinegar apples, sultanas and cinnamon
- Pigs in blankets, both a meat version and a vegetarian sausage and bacon one
- Carrots in honey and thyme

Might do one other heavy green (Cavolo Nero or broccoli), but that's pretty much the measure of it. Going to be odd for me without half a tonne of meat. 

• Paid Members

Not a fan of the beef one, but haven't tried the gammon. May have to give it a go, but will probably stick with fake chicken for Christmas just due to the fact that I think it'll go with the mushroom concoction I have in mind.

I'm also spending approximately 5 grand on cheese to compensate for the lack of meat over the holiday season this year. 

Edited by Gus Mears