The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Bettencourt said:

Searched around 30 pages and can't find that amazing looking pork belly recipe from a while ago. Bought pork belly to serve at the weekend and wanted a great way to serve it that was a little different and thought that asian recipe would have been a great way to do it. Anyone able to find it or have I been an idiot and overlooked it on my search?

I think it's here, p23

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Here's a good little Mauritian recipe for using up leftover mash, if you're fed up of Patrick pie or cheesy mash.

A little oil in the frying pan, put in a big spoonful of garlic and ginger paste (if you remember my prepping post from before). Chuck in a dried chilli (you can use fresh, though), a chopped tomato, some chopped onion, and some thyme (if you can get it fresh, a couple of small sprigs will do).

Fry those on a medium heat for a while, until the paste has cooked, the onion has softened, and the tomato has softened even more, breaking down into mush.

Once the whole thing's a bit mushy, chuck in the mashed potato, and grind in a little salt and pepper. Shift it about to heat it up, and fold it over and over until it's all mixed with the tomato/garlic/ginger/onion, and there you go!

Mashed Potato toufé.jpg

This is what I love about cooking, every culture has their own version of the same dish.  Our version of this would be bubble and squeak.  Will give this a go on Monday night, when we always have leftover mash.

• Paid Members
Just now, Thunderplex said:

This is what I love about cooking, every culture has their own version of the same dish.  Our version of this would be bubble and squeak.  Will give this a go on Monday night, when we always have leftover mash.

Thing about this dish is you can make it with cabbage, so it very much resembles bubble and squeak! You can also do the same with cabbage and chopped potatoes from raw.

• Paid Members

I'm a big fan of lazily cooking stuff in a big pan, like chilli, jambalaya, curries and paellas. I can sense the missus becoming slightly bored of this rotation however. Has anyone got recommendations of easy one pot stuff? 

• Paid Members
On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, Thunderplex said:

Hey, 'plex Luger, did you try out the recipe?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Hey, 'plex Luger, did you try out the recipe?

We had a change of plan on Sunday, and instead of the usual roast that would have provided the mash leftovers, I made a massive meat and potato pie.  Did my own red cabbage with it.  ‘Twas awesome.

• Awards Moderator

Inspired a little bit by the Vinegar Strokes thread, I made a beef and pickled onion pie.

20171105_183350.jpg.6aa6dd860053fe79d2a3208b406ddfbd.jpg

Simmered the beef and pickled onions in stock, strained off the liqour then piled into a pie. I thickened up the broth to make a gravy. It was full of vinegar tang, I tell yis.

• Paid Members

Did you make the pastry @Onyx2? If so, how did you find doing it? I'm going to be attempting to make a big batch of puff pastry to freeze at some point this week. Not made it for years though (normally opt for shortcrust), so any tips would be appreciated! 

Looks great either way, a cracking pie!

• Awards Moderator

Cheers @mim731. That is shortcrust which takes about 30 seconds in a food processor, with a cheeky bit of cheddar baked in.

Puff pastry can be a bit of a pain. The main thing is to keep it chilled throughout, and make sure you only roll in one direction.