The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Probably worth spending the extra £30 for the one that isn't a no name Chinese brand.

yeah because having a brand name always guarantees quality (or that it isn't made in the same Chinese factory).

I paid £79.99 for mine over prime day. Been great so far. No bluetooth or wi-fi but it isn't necessary really. I'd read the reviews if i'm honest. That one also has a 2 year warranty.

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members

Anyone catching that "Royal Banquets" programme on BBC? I fucking detest Michael Buerk, misogynistic keech that he is, but the dishes they're showing on there look absolutely glorious. Yesterday had "Italian-style crown of lamb" which had a stuffing of garlic, porcini, pancetta, and breadcrumbs, while the lamb was slow-cooked. Today's episode had Gaelic steak with whiskey sauce, and made me want to make it straight away.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Been in a bit of a lull while I find work and staying at mothers for free so decided while she's out at work on the early shift that I'd cook a full pork roast for six with my free time. Pictures will follow but I'm absolutely buzzing to be back creating good food again. Even if I am attempting to actifry my roast potatoes for the first time too.

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members

It was less the use of it, more me worrying it wouldn't come out as crispy as usual. That being said, bloody fantastic dinner to toot my own horn.

Photo of the full lot is a bit blurry mainly as I was in a slight rush to eat and a slightly useless phone but the pork (and especially the crackling) came out fantastic.

Fbp3aEB.jpg

f78CJCj.jpg

Pork, crackling, pigs in blankets, stuffing, yorkshire puddings, and then usual assortment of veg. Used the juices and charred onions I lay the pork on to cook up some great gravy as well. Just need to start making my own apple sauce again.

• Paid Members

Good work fella. Looks top.

I'm doing a vegetarian roast with roasted beetroot and butternut squash in garlic, rosemary and thyme, honey carrots and the usual potatoes, greens etc.  

Also have a homemade apple and rhubarb crumble for pudding. Additional cinnamon in the topping and innards. All of the contents are from grans garden. Shall post pics of the food when done probably.

Edited by Gus Mears