The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Hey guys. Am in Mauritius at the moment, lovely so far. Here's a very Mauritian dish I've just had for dinner, octopus sautéed in onions and chilli with rice, salad and chow-chow (a fruit often used in savoury dishes, including Mauritian curry).

20170412_195654.jpg

• Moderators

I cured a pork loin to make my own bacon. I'm going to smoke it tomorrow, but just tried a bit now and it tastes fucking amazing. And it's loads cheaper than buying bacon in the shops and I've got a rack of ribs to enjoy as well to boot.

tmp_16801-IMG_20170414_1951121051095093.thumb.jpg.158264391712f8aa06f5027b464f9b1e.jpg

I did it with rosemary, garlic and black pepper. The flavors really come through in meat! Can't wait to add that smokiness to it as well...

I'm never buying bacon again. I don't even want to finish the pack I've already got in the fridge.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Is the chow chow the green bit at the top of the picture?  What does it taste like?

Yeah, it's the green bit. I've not actually had it like that before - it was sautéed in garlic and ginger, I think. I've mostly had it in curries before.

It's got a sweet flavour, and the texture when cooked is very soft. The raw fruit is green on the outside, greenish-white on the inside, and a bit sticky when you cut it. You can buy it in markets in the UK, you just need to keep your eyes peeled. Apparently some Caribbean dishes use it too, so you might be able to find it in Caribbean markets (although that's anecdotal from a non-Caribbean friend, so don't take my word for it).

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, it's the green bit. I've not actually had it like that before - it was sautéed in garlic and ginger, I think. I've mostly had it in curries before.

It's got a sweet flavour, and the texture when cooked is very soft. The raw fruit is green on the outside, greenish-white on the inside, and a bit sticky when you cut it. You can buy it in markets in the UK, you just need to keep your eyes peeled. Apparently some Caribbean dishes use it too, so you might be able to find it in Caribbean markets (although that's anecdotal from a non-Caribbean friend, so don't take my word for it).

We have a few of them round here, so I'll keep my eye out, cheers.

• Paid Members

Onyx old buddy old pal.  Need help with my spiralizer.  Been doing courgettes on it, but when I mix with a sauce, it just floods with water.  Tried salting, but the texture goes weird.  Any suggestions?

• Awards Moderator

Oh johnnyboy, you poor, poor unenlightened fool. I grow them most years, I love 'em so much. 

Courgettes are mostly water, so you need to get shot of that before you use them. Dry fry in a pan before combining with sauce, or microwave until piping hot, about 1m 30.

Spoiler

17861823_10158474573945162_4176572553248

Went to Miller & Cater in Glasgow last weekend and it was unbelievable. Giant picture in tags is the Butcher's Block sharer - 8oz Rib-eye, 8oz Sirloin and 8oz Fillet all 30-50 day aged.  You also get two massive wedges of onion loaf a wedge each of dressed lettuce and beef dripping cooked chips plus a couple of sauces.  I took the missus out as a treat for supporting me (mentally, not financially) through uni and starting my own business.  Definitely be back for a return visit soon.