The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I would love to try this sous vide steak everyone keeps going on about. No way is make it myself though, as I'm trying to cut beef out of my diet mostly, so there's no point getting all the equipment.

You can sous vide anything really. All you need is a Immersion Circulator and a large pot. I bought the sous vide balls but that's optional

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Oh cool. I didn't realise you could just plonk that thing in any pot. I've never really looked into it. In that case it wouldn't take up that much more room in the kitchen and may be viable....

Cooking a Sirloin in there at the moment (not essential but a vacuum sealer is also a good investment. I buy in bulk so it's used for that and sous vide)

https://ibb.co/iEWXma

*sorry photo isn't uploading at the moment 

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Awards Moderator

As we happen to be discussing this: here's the steaks I did tonight. As part of a campaign with Aldi I've tried their rump, sirloin and rib-eye respectively. 

20170815_205005.thumb.jpg.46c55a45be95860f6b559d3bebeb019f.jpg

20170815_205050.thumb.jpg.504d10cacd2cf45ff2ab9d2c5b7a6cb7.jpg

Sous vide gives you that perfect pinkness on the inside. A quick turn in the pan gives that wonderful crust.

I was surprised how good the sirloin was. I'm a rib-eye guy, but this Aldi sirloin was buttery and grassy. Really good!

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

So you'd reccomend Aldi steaks then.  Never really bought meat from there.

I would yeah. I skip over sirloin usually, I'm either going for the strong flavour of rump (plus it's cheap) or the all-rounder of rib-eye but this sirloin was fantastic. 

I would add the rump and rib-eye was from their premium range, whereas sirloin was from their standard line. Their meat farms have excellent provenance too. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I would yeah. I skip over sirloin usually, I'm either going for the strong flavour of rump (plus it's cheap) or the all-rounder of rib-eye but this sirloin was fantastic. 

I would add the rump and rib-eye was from their premium range, whereas sirloin was from their standard line. Their meat farms have excellent provenance too. 

I'll have to give it a go then.

Just changed from the flip once school of thought to the flip once a minute.  One hell of a difference.

• Awards Moderator
26 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Just changed from the flip once school of thought to the flip once a minute.  One hell of a difference.

Constant flipping is great. Works even better with burgers because of their loose structure, the heat stays consistent.