The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

It just needs to be well butchered, handled and stored. The big problem with most meat is it goes through that process keeping margins up through keeping costs low and so has likely picked up bacteria that needs killing through cooking.

• Awards Moderator
6 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Alright fork brigade. I'll sit here, resplendent in my blended and gingery glory, while you sit there like luddites, mashing with your fork and using dial up to look for recipes.  

Enjoy your food from a high chair by all means. You'll love it when your big boy teeth grow in. 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I'm not sure if it should be here or eat clean, but I've discovered a love of 'mett',  finely ground raw pork with raw onion. 

It's amazing. 

Is this not very similar to Steak tartare?

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BigJag said:

Is this not very similar to Steak tartare?

It is, tartare is beef and coarser and less 'spreadable' in my experience. 

I found tartare bland compared to sealing the meat like a blue steak. 

Made nachos the other night.  Well I cut up tortillas, seasoned them with BBQ and chilli powder and baked them.  They were so much nicer than store bought, scooped up my vegan chilli a treat!  Any tips (apart from eat meat, you poof) for stuff to do with nachos?

• Paid Members

Does vegan cheese melt?  If so, you can do a cheese sauce poured over them like a the cinema for an eat clean treat.

my favourite nachos are a bed of them covered with salsa, guacamole, sour cream and grated cheese.  Not sure if there is a vegan style sour cream, but anything similar that's yoghurty may do.  I often use left over, warmed taco meat over the nachos, which you could easily replicate with quorn, chilli powder, cumin and a good squeeze of lime.

Tonight I'll be cooking my own version of a chinese meal ... chicken in spring onion & garlic sauce, chillies & medium sesame noodles.  The sauce & ginger stem are the only things I don't make myself (50p sachet of sauce, £3 a ginger stem in the co-op).  Chicken from the local butcher (who appears to get mutant chickens to donate their hefty breasts), my own chillies from my plant, my own green or red peppers (depending on size), spring onions & regular onions from my patch, plus the noodles. :)  I may post pics ...

Guys, quick question. I'm skint at the moment but I do have pasta and a couple of pasta bake sauces but no dish to make bake.

Would I be ok using said sauces as just pasta sauces? I.E. whacking it in a saucepan and heating it up? It's tomato and bacon flavour if that helps. Cheers