The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Vegetarianism is going fine but, somewhat like a marital bedroom on the rocks, I think I need the culinary equivalent of a sexy nurse outfit or a ballgag to really spice things up. 

Consequently, anyone got any cooking utensils/gadgets to make things more fun? I'm very much tempted by the aforementioned pizza oven, any of suggestions would be appreciated.

• Awards Moderator

What about a spiralizer Gus? Bit wanky-trendy but they are genuinely good fun way to eat veg. I'm such a tosser I keep one in my drawer at work.

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Sorry Onyx, I hate those! Just feels like I'm wasting half of a vegetable. Might get a tagine, that's quite gimmicky, but I am increasingly getting into my Middle Eastern and Indian cooking as a result of vegging it up. It's no longer a complete ballache to make curry paste from scratch.

• Paid Members

The Forman type grills do excellent grilled veggies, only way I ever really cook asparagus.  You also have the v-slicer that if you get a good one, makes veg prep very quick.

• Paid Members

Chest is right, getting a pressure cooker revolutionised a lot of my veg cooking.  I have an electric one called an Instant Pot.  Makes the best mashed potatoes in 15 minutes I have ever eaten.  Perfect broccoli too.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Get a fucking pressure cooker you pleb! They're brilliant.

Also it's worth having a good setup for steaming. Could you do with anything to enhance that capability in your kitchen?

I'm good as far as having a steamer. Probably will get a pressure cooker, any brands to recommend? 

I need to start doing more shit with lentils and beans in general, I know that much. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Sorry Onyx, I hate those! Just feels like I'm wasting half of a vegetable. Might get a tagine, that's quite gimmicky, but I am increasingly getting into my Middle Eastern and Indian cooking as a result of vegging it up. It's no longer a complete ballache to make curry paste from scratch.

Probably not very alluring. You could get a fancy pressure cooker. like a SMEG one or something. The red one in the picture below looks funky.

Pressure cookers are a staple item in an Indian kitchen. My dad has been rather annoyed lately, as he believes that I have thrown ours out. I may well have done so. Still going to deny it though. Serves him right for having the heating thermostat set so high.

pressure-cooker-pres.jpg

Edited by BigJag
I didn't read the thread properly.

• Paid Members

Instant Pot are the official Pressure Cooker of the UKFF! They are the best. no messing about with stove tops, explosion's or anything. Safe as houses, quick and simple. Best gadget invention in forever* is the electric pressure cooker, and the IP is the king of them.

*I also want an immersion circulator (Sous Vide wand), which Instant Pot now make one of their own of.

Edited by Nick Soapdish