The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator

I'd fry the onion, carrot and garlic together until tender, and simmer the potatoes in water separately before adding them to the other pan. They'll take aaaaages to soften just from frying. Then add the tomatoes and spinach, lid on and let the spinach wilt down (will take less than five minutes).

Gotta love a "mum's recipe".

• Paid Members

I can safely ask about Quinoa in this thread, right?

I cut out gluten, grains and dairy and most sugars about 6 weeks ago for a bunch of reasons. At first I lost a lot of weight, but I'm starting to get back to where I was now... Anyways, fine cooks of the UKFF, give me some Quinoa inspiration.

Im making porridges out of it with Almond Milk, blueberries, almonds and Pumpkin seeds.

Also cooking it with leftover veggie stock to add to salads and to use as sides.

what else can I do with it /add to it? I need ideas.

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

I'm RIGHT AT THIS SECOND eating quinoa that I boiled as per-usual, before adding finely chopped garlic, sundried tomato, a lot of thyme and basil, spring onion, feta and a glug of chilli infused olive oil to. Cheap, easy and filling lunch.

• Paid Members

Sorry, missed your Q there Keith.

One of my favourite dishes is tamarind prawns. Tamarind paste (or raw tamarind), chilli, brown sugar lime luice, ginger and soy sauce, bang in a blender and mix with the prawns for a few hours/overnight. Grill them and serve with fresh green salad with spring onions in. Delicious. 

• Paid Members

I'm RIGHT AT THIS SECOND eating quinoa that I boiled as per-usual, before adding finely chopped garlic, sundried tomato, a lot of thyme and basil, spring onion, feta and a glug of chilli infused olive oil to. Cheap, easy and filling lunch.

Yeah I've been doing the usual thing of bunging a load of herbs/chilli with it. Just wondering if there's some super duper secret recipe that I'm missing out on?

I've been eating so much of the stuff recently, I just wanna freshen it up a little.

Also, cheap? pardon my ignorance, but at nearly 4 quid a bag in Morrisons, it's a bit steep. Or am I buying the wrong stuff? Fess up, Gus.

• Paid Members

At Aldi it was under a quid for a bag big enough for about 5 portions. May have been on offer though.

Welcome to this week's moderately tasty edition of 'Let's look at Gus' lunch'

20170322_125807.jpg

'What's that on the left?' I hear you ask. Why, it's homemade hummus with a pitta bread sticking out the top, next to my plastic duck.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

One of my favourite dishes is tamarind prawns. Tamarind paste (or raw tamarind), chilli, brown sugar lime luice, ginger and soy sauce, bang in a blender and mix with the prawns for a few hours/overnight. Grill them and serve with fresh green salad with spring onions in. Delicious. 

This reminds me, in your new state of vegginess, where do you stand on prawns/seafood? I know a number of veggie mates who seem to vary wildly on whether they do or don't count seafood. Obviously it's down to personal preference,  but I do find it fascinating to hear the various takes on it.

I'd consider going veggie, but I think I'd still eat fish and seafood if I'm honest.