The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

The Scotch eggs look great. I bet they taste even better.

I made some pulled pork for the lads to eat during last week's fight night. Slow roasted a shoulder for about eight hours. They polished off the lot happily. The crackling was cracking!

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

I've decided to go vegetarian. I've been toying with it for a while blah, blah blah, ethics and guilt.

Anyway, I'm a pretty good cook, but any vegetarian specialities any of you might have would be greatly appreciated. Cheers in advance.

• Paid Members

Planning on doing pulled pork in the slow cooker on the weekend, but could use some tips. I had previously dine this relatively successfully with a bbq sauce, spices and a few other bits, but it was a bit sweeter than I would have liked. A friend suggested using an IPA as part of the cooking liquid, but I'm not 100% sold. Anyone got any tips?

Also Gus, good luck. I tried going veggie and couldn't keep it going for more than a month, so have conceded and committed to reducing my meat and dairy usage to help offset my guilt/environmental impact a bit rather than giving up completely. The BBC Good Food website has tons of excellent veggie recipes.

For me (during that month, and now during the week when I'm eating less meat) I found Halloumi or Mushrooms tend to be the best substitutes for meat, unless you are using quorn-type things, some of which are great. Also, if you want something that actually is a bit more like meat for taste/texture it's worth having a look into seitan, which can do a fairly good job as a substitute.

Incidentally, quorn frozen chicken nuggets taste very similar to the real thing. Whether that's a statement on what is in chicken nuggets, or how far along the meat substitute technology has come, I dare not question.  

• Paid Members

Good luck Gus. I stopped eating meat a year or so ago, like you I'm into cooking and was always the guy that would cook a big bit of meat for friends as well so it was a hard decision to cut meat out of my repertoire. It's a struggle at first but it's a piece of piss now and I have no regrets. If you're anything like me you'll be eating lots of cheese.

Also you will indeed have to stop posting in #EATCLEAN but that's not a bad thing, what used to be a fun thread has now just descended into northern weirdos calling anyone who doesn't sustain themselves exclusively on dirt cheap canned meat a poof.

Edited by Call me Bellend

• Awards Moderator

I've decided to go vegetarian. I've been toying with it for a while blah, blah blah, ethics and guilt.

Anyway, I'm a pretty good cook, but any vegetarian specialities any of you might have would be greatly appreciated. Cheers in advance.

The ingredients lists can be long, but I recommend most of Ottolenghi's Plenty. All of it exciting and engaging.

As a one-off, this vegan burger is absolutely amazing. Really tasty.

I have to give a shout out to two of my favourite British vegetarian bloggers: Tinned Tomatoes and Amuse Your Bouche. Good eggs both.

• Paid Members

Thanks all. Cheers Onyx for the burger recipe, last one I made was abysmal, so looking forward to giving that a bash.

It does give me an excuse to ratchet up the amount of Indian food I cook, which is nice. Think I'll probably batch make some Vindaloo sauce next weekend.

It's a fucker in many respects as I do love both cooking and eating meat, but it's something I just feel is right for me. Sure as hell am not going to be one of those messianic Morrisey types trying to convert everyone.

Edited by Gus Mears

Good luck, Gus.  I pretty much went vegan for a bit and it was real easy to do, please as you can imagine, it really encourages creativity.  http://thehungrygecko.comis my favourite.  She is a Masterchef finalist, I was introduced to her food in a Chorlton ponce hole where she was doing the food.  Then she brought out a cook book and, much like the ones Onyx posted (thanks for them, pal!) the ingredients list can be long but a few substitutes can be made.

Oh yeah.  Fanny.