The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Awards Moderator

Made a cracking glaze for some ribs earlier.

Half a bottle of BBQ sauce

3 or 4 tablespoons of sweet chilli sauce

2 tablespoons of honey

Small nip of bourbon

Good mound of powdered coriander

Lump of paprika

Rock salt and black pepper

Mixed it all up into a thick sauce then smothered the ribs in it. Put them in the slow cooker and added more sauce, leaving about a third for use later on. Topped it with boiling water to the point where it's just covering the ribs.

R1_zpsfkcbzdpl.png

Stuck it on low for six hours. Once done, placed the ribs on a baking tray and covered them with the rest of the sauce.

R2_zpsiio2hhk2.png

Cooked them at 180 for about 20 minutes, to the point where the glaze is sticking to the ribs but has retained its colour/not started to darken.

The meat was unbelievably tender and just came off the bone with just the lightest bite. The glaze had a really nice kick and by the time I finished, I looked like a baby just moving on to solids.

R3_zpsfyncpbco.png

The leftover broth from the slow cooker was frigging lovely, too. Could have been used as some kind of hybrid BBQ oxtail soup if it was a bit thicker.

Prep time was less than ten minutes and it'd be great if you're having people round and want some finger food. Nowhere near some of the things Gus has posted but so nice for something absurdly easy.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

Ribs are t

One of those rare foods that just need simple cooking. I do a similar technique when not BBQing, give them a dusting of my magic rub, throw them in my Instant Pot with apple juice and some BBQ sauce, ready for the grill in 50 minutes for a mop and crisp up. Decided on tomorrow's tea now!

• Moderators

Nothing as fancy as all this stuff, but I made my own scotch eggs for the first time ever yesterday. It turns out it's pretty fucking fiddly if you want them properly runny, so I was really chuffed how well they turned out.

20161231_195917.jpg

Chorizo parmesan scotch egg (pictured with fork).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Ribs are t

One of those rare foods that just need simple cooking. I do a similar technique when not BBQing, give them a dusting of my magic rub, throw them in my Instant Pot with apple juice and some BBQ sauce, ready for the grill in 50 minutes for a mop and crisp up. Decided on tomorrow's tea now!

Instant pot is the one! Though I do my ribs for 20 minutes in there and then grill them with some glaze on after. Make nice chicken wings in there too

• Paid Members

Been attempting to cheer myself up and do good things with food as well.

Garlic butter infused rump steak with a home made spicy chimichurri sauce, herby wedges and some veg on the side was dinner for this evening. Best thing I've ever bloody eaten or cooked. Will grab photos up when not on my phone.

• Paid Members

So anyway as I said, would attempt to get some photos once I was off my phone. It's not fantastic levels of cooking by any means, but as a student that's friends swear by ready meals, takeaways and snacking rather than making anything proper I'm quite happy that my New Year's Resolution to get back to making everything from scratch has gone well so far.

Yesterday's dinner was a medium-rare rump steak that I cooked in garlic butter in the pan, homemade spicy chimichurri sauce, then chucked some home made wedges in the oven in some seasonings and olive oil and some peas and beans for basic veg. Steak was brilliant, lighting on the wedges isn't great but they were a lot crispier than they look and the chimichurri sauce was so good I've taken to making a bigger batch of it next time so I can store some for other meals.

pQB2gfc.jpg

Tonight went with a mustard glazed, cheese and home made onion chutney topped grilled pork chop with some new potatoes and spinach (my first time ever eating spinach actually - the joys of Aspergers means I stayed away from a lot of good stuff for a few years/for ever). The recipe someone found a while ago while I was doing some stuff with different flavourings for pork chops and its the first time I got to try it out. I'm bloody smiling like a Cheshire cat at the moment and in some form of food coma. 

rAFaNHp.jpg

The lucky thing for me I guess is my course/work schedule means I have time to sit and relax, plan meals out and make them. The whole timings and settings and set instructions thing for me is incredibly calming with my anxiety issues as everything goes to plan perfectly each time. It isn't anywhere near as good as what Chest, Frankie or King Gus have put up in the past few posts, but there's some merit points for a 24 year old who 2 years ago had an anxiety attack whenever he stepped foot in his kitchen right?

• Paid Members

That looks like it tasted great. Some of the guys on here look like exceptional cooks but there's absolutely merit in being able to cook tasty, fresh food like you've posted.

Yeah this. I sure as hell don't do stuff that's impressive every night. Putting something like that together a few times a week is what it's all about. Especially if cooking isn't a passion. Top work

• Paid Members

You got me on Pork chop. Just those words get me drooling.

Did Carnitas tonight. Cut a lean shoulder of pork into large chunks and cooked in the pressure cooker with orange and lime juice and the squeezed fruit, cumin, onion, organs and garlic for 40 minute till soft and tender. Broke up a bit and crisped slightly under the grill. Served in soft tortilla bowls wth Salad, avocado, salsa, sour cream, diced spring onion and a sprinkle of Lancashire cheese (I've been told by a real Mexican from Mexico it's as close to thier cheese as you can get over here). Awesome.

• Paid Members

It was one I found just while looking at steak sauces randomly on the bus.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/10-steak-sauces-you-can-make-minutes

4th sauce down, literally 5 minute cut and blend job with a small blender/food processor. Season to taste, chucked an extra bit of chilli and some ground coriander in for an extra kick and job was a good one.

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members

am I the only one here who thinks Steak should be sans sauce? a GOOD Steak anyway? When I went to Ramsey's Steak in Vegas my Fillet cost $75 and two of my party had the same with Peppercorn sauce? WTF

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Moderators

Chimichurri is awesome. Nice work Shy Dad, looks great!

I bought a meat mincer recently, I can't remember if i posted about it already. Anyway, yesterday I had some leftovers from a roast - chicken, potatoes and gravy. I minced it all up, added some raw carrots for texture, and a little bit of oil to help bind the mixture and made roast dinner gyozas.

A bizarre experiment but my wife loved them so I consider it a success. I was a little more on the fence myself. But the dipping sauce made out of a combination of gravy and black rice vinegar was fantastic, so worth it as a vehicle for the sauce alone I think.

No pictures as they just looked like normal dumplings from the outside.