The cookery thread

Philo_Vance

• Paid Members

Noiiiiiice, what you doing to the Turkey Plex? Anything out of the ordinary?

I'm catering for the traditional Christmas eve buffet and instead of wasting a bunch of cash on poor quality packet meat as usual, I have bought a gammon ham and 2.5kg of topside from the local butchers. Going to do a marmalade glaze around the ham and not sure regarding the beef, although It'll probably involve a bed of onions and a Worcestershire sauce marinade of some kind. 

• Paid Members

Sounds very nice indeed. I think you'll find that doing it yourself is cheaper than buying it ready made and far, fa better.

I'm a bit traditional with turkey. My stuffing in the neck end, grate do onion and some sage up its arsehole for flavour, slather with butter, top with bacon and just a normal roast. I love the taste of plain roast turkey, so I don't mess with it too much.

We've been doing The 15 Days of Christmas at work. Essentially, every day for 3 weeks it's someone's turn on the team to bring in treats/ lunch/ whatever for everyone else. We've had some pre bought stuff (many boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts today) but have had some decent home cooked fare too. Last week some lad brought in pie, peas and roasties for everybody, somebody did pizzas at home and ferried them over on his lunch. Mine was Friday before last and went with pulled pork. Rubbed it with my standard dry rub of cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, salt and a little light brown sugar and then in the slow cooker for about 10 hours on low. Brought it in to work and had it finishing off for 3 and a bit hours and the place smelled beautiful. Load of breadcakes and cheap cheese slices. Was spot on!

• Paid Members

Make sure it's full sugar coke. Friend of mine tried it with diet as she was watching her figure, horrible.

Keep an eye on the liquid level. Coke can catch and burn when it reduces, so keep it topped up. Mustard crust on ham always goes well, let us know how you go on.

Make sure it's full sugar coke. Friend of mine tried it with diet as she was watching her figure, horrible.

Keep an eye on the liquid level. Coke can catch and burn when it reduces, so keep it topped up. Mustard crust on ham always goes well, let us know how you go on.

• Paid Members

We've been doing The 15 Days of Christmas at work. Essentially, every day for 3 weeks it's someone's turn on the team to bring in treats/ lunch/ whatever for everyone else. We've had some pre bought stuff (many boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts today) but have had some decent home cooked fare too. Last week some lad brought in pie, peas and roasties for everybody, somebody did pizzas at home and ferried them over on his lunch. Mine was Friday before last and went with pulled pork. Rubbed it with my standard dry rub of cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, salt and a little light brown sugar and then in the slow cooker for about 10 hours on low. Brought it in to work and had it finishing off for 3 and a bit hours and the place smelled beautiful. Load of breadcakes and cheap cheese slices. Was spot on!

Sounds a really fun thing to do. Would like to do something like that at my works, but several of my colleagues have scant regard for hygiene so probrably best if we don't.

• Paid Members

Onyx or ThunderPlex (probably one of you two most likely). Would a beer/stout marinade (with onions, Worcestershire sauce) work on my topside? Not looking to go mental with it, but just a few hours, pat it dry and then rub it with salt, pepper, little bit of sugar and mustard powder before roasting. It feels like it should work, but want to make sure before I flush £40 of cow down the shitter. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I prefer to let a nice piece of beef speak for itself. Most I'd do is season and possibly brush it with English mustard before roasting to a nice medium. Onyx will have some nice marinade ideas I'm sure.

Yeah was full fat, the slow cooker meant it ate up the coke and replaced it with juices, the taste is a sweet but almost smoky end result.

Mustard crust worked as well for a bit of warmth. Shall try again.

Next up I want to try a salsa chicken tear and share bread thing that I've seen hawked on a food website as it looks fun :)

• Awards Moderator

I'm with Plexy, seems a shame to spend £40 on beef then flush the taste away. I've used Worcestershire sauce marinades before and they do take over. Tasty, but dominant.

It depends how you're cooking it. You're roasting I guess, so marinades are least effective for roasting. The process is designed to evaporate liquid so if you have to add flavour it has to be paste-like (think tikka style).

If you want to use a liquid marinade I'd sear quickly in a pan then roast on a very low heat (80c) for 12 - 24 hours until the beef is 65 - 70c.

It sounds like a maddening technique but it's just the best.